Accidently Ran Coppermine at 2.2 Volts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidently Ran Coppermine at 2.2 Volts

Thankfully, nothing happened. (Actually, it could be my imagination, but I haven't seen a computer boot so quickly in quite some time.)

I bought a second Coppermine yesterday, a PIII 550E FC-PGA, and stuck it in an IWill II slocket. I set the VCore jumpers to what I thought was a CPU default setting, "No CPU." My motherboard, an AX6BC Pro II, interpreted this as 2.2 V, although I didn't know this at the time.

I rebooted, entered the BIOS, saw the dangerously off-spec voltage, and changed it from there to the "not so dangerously off-spec" 1.65 V.

At that point, I upped the FSB to 133 MHz, successfully booted into Windows, forced AGP 1x in the registry, and everything seems to be o'kay at 733 MHz.

By the way, the documented jumper setting for 2.2 volts is different than the setting I was using (all jumpers off). It's good to know that the CPU can put up with this nonsense for a short period of time, as it appears to give you a little breathing room when testing your motherboard for Coppermine compatibility.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Hey Paul,

I had the understanding that the flipchip coppermines ran at 1.60, not 1.65 like their slot 1 siblings. I have my FC-PGA 500E running at 1.60.

It was somewhere on this forum that I read the FC-PGA P3's ran at 1.60.

------------------
    Regards,

Ben

Config: AOPen AX6BC Pro II Millenium Edition, P3 500E@715, 256MB PC133 RAM, SB Live!, 3Com 3C905BTX 10/100, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD reader, STB Blackmagic V2 (SLI) - removed after new TurboGL, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and G773, Win98SE and WinNT 4 Server

[This message has been edited by ObiBen (edited 11 April 2000).]
    Regards,

Ben

Config: Abit BE6-II r1, PIII 700E@933, 256MB PC133 RAM (CAS2), SB Live!, Intel 82558 10/100 Net Adapter, IBM 13.5 GXP IDE HD, Adaptec 2940U2W SCSI Host Adapter, Quantum Atlas III 9.1GB U2W SCSI HD, Yamaha 4416S writer, Pioneer 36X SCSI CD-ROM, Matrox G400MAX (Yeah!), Viewsonic PS790 and E771, Win98SE and NT4

Comment

Thanks. Spec is 1.60 V, but I upped it to 1.65 because I knew I was going to overclock it.

I think Intel has been upping the voltage on PIII's as they get faster, which is probably prudent.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 11 April 2000).]

Comment

Did you need to force 1X? I am useing your board's little brother, AX6BC Pro, and run a 550e@733 with the VCore at 1.60 (reports 1.62 at 133FSB) on an IWill SlocketII and it runs fine at 2X (G400Max).

Mark F.

------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
        --------------------------------------------------
        OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
        and burped out a movie

Comment

Yes. At first it appeared stable at AGP 2X, but things degenerated and I got a number of the errors associated with overclocking the AGP slot.

Forcing AGP 1x fixed everything.

Paul
          paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
          X