PC In Mid-Boot Zazen shocker!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC In Mid-Boot Zazen shocker!

My machine has been doing this for a while, but now's the first time I've bothered to ask why...

Win98 seems to like pausing during boot-up. It really seems to be doing /nothing/ for quite lengthy periods. All in all, booting/reboot takes about a minute and a half. I wouldn't really mind (I don't reboot very often, thank God!) except that the machine seems to be doing nothing at all for quite a lot of the time - bar possibly attaining enlightenment through meditation. No disk activity, no flashing lights, no noise that goes 'ping'. Nothing. Odd.

I defrag fairly regularly, and keep a relatively clean registry. What /is/ going on? Any ideas?

Celeron533, 128MBs RAM Win98, G400max (PDesk 5.52), SBLive! (Live!ware 3), a couple o' Gigs free HDD space...and an MS Intellimouse with a stuck scroll-wheel...

No idea's but for that my PC does exact the same... Although my drive light blinks waiting about every 4 seconds... Maybe it's Plugging in some Play stuff we don't know about?? ;-))

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Yeah, W2K does the same!
      It's anoying as *@#$£¤%!
      It get's worse the more appz and drivers etc etc you install!
      But it happens before loading of the shell as it is happening despite using LiteStep or other shells!

------------------
      INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
      G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
      SBlive
      256 MB RAM CAS2
      43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
      Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
      SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

It's possible what you're seeing is the registry back-up process.

Comment

It's possible what you're seeing is the registry back-up process.

Comment

I have noticed that if my dsl modem is turned off I get the same pause.
            In my computers case, I think it is waiting for it's ip assignment. If I turn the modem back on the OS takes off as soon as the dsl link light goes green.
            I've also had this problem when I had a bad network cable.
            It may just be waiting for it's DHCP server to get around to it. Try taking out your network stuff and see if that "fixes" it.
            chuck

Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

If you have a network card installed, see if any of it's settings can be hard-set.

If you allow a network card to "auto-detect" it's environment, you're asking for long delays during your boot-up.

I shaved 30-40 seconds off my boot sequence by setting my card to TP, half-duplex, 100Mbit, etc... All-hard set, instead of auto-detection...

That's good if you are always in the same environment.

For lan parties, it's better to auto-detect, unless you use the same switch for the lan party as you do at home

Guyv
              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
              - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
              - 6.1 Digital Audio
              - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
              - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
              - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
              - LS120 IDE Floppy
              - Zip 100 IDE
              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
              - NEC FE950
              - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Assigning a valid STATIC private IP address to a NIC significantly speeds up the boot process as there is no more looking for a DHCP server upon boot. This should always be considered for PCs not connected permanently to a network (e.g. LAN game computers) and all networked PCs WITHOUT a DHCP server in their environment.
                Regards, Alegria

------------------
                The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
                Bob Dylan

The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
                Bob Dylan

Comment

Working...
                X