Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using the software program cpuidle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using the software program cpuidle?

Does it:
    1)Work?
    2)Affect game playing or other applications in a negative way?
    3)Can it be uninstalled without leaving
    unwanted remnants?
    4)any problems in general?

I have used a little, but decided to stop using it.

In my experience the program is bug free an easy to uninstall.

The "problem" with this kind of program is that it doesn't really work. When you don't use a very big percentage of you CPU power (eg. "notepad"), it doesn't get very warm.
    But when you eg. play Quake 3 it gets hot, and that's when you need cooling. But since the CPUidle program works by idling the parts of your CPU that is not being used, it doesn't have any effect, because every part of your CPU is being used 100 % (well... almost).

If you still want to use this kind of program there are other versions out there, one them is called "rain".

Torben Rohde
    G400 news, info, downloads and mailinglist : http://TRsDomain.homepage.dk

Comment

I´ve used cpuidle and I find an insteresting bug: If I had Internet exploder 4.0 and cpuidle running, I couln´t print anything from the browser in my HP690C. Weird thing.

I agree with Rohde, I prefer rain much more. That, or use NT/win2k, it has a cpu idle built in

Comment

Rohde and Nuno,
        Thanks for your responses.
        Nuno,
        Re: rain.. any problems with gaming or uninstalling?
        How about waterfall pro?

Comment

Surferpop, the problem with software like those is it only works when you don't have any cpu munching program running... ie notepad, IE, etc. When it comes to running games... it simply stops functioning, hence no cooling effect. There is no way a program like them can replace a good HS. If your into Green PC and want to save a few pennies in electricty then go for it, otherwise they're generally a waste of time. I've tested all of them and they all work the same way (with varing results) by issueing a HLT command to the cpu (think that's it

CPUIdle is by far the most commonly used and trouble free of them all. Also CPUidle works in conjunction with MotherBoard Monitor.

I recieved an update on MBM today...
          "MBM Update List - MBM

13 Apr

Released MBM 4.17, it has support for the Via 596B chipset, which means that popular boards like the Asus P3V-4X and MSI6199 are supported. Also cpuidle pro should be supported under NT/2000."
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe,
            That says it all. Thanks.
            I think I'll pass on the software cooling programs.

Comment

I've been using rain for the past couple of years. There's a website that did a test on all the various cpu cooling programs, and all had various high/low points. Sorry, can't remember what it was called: thought it had a name like beta testers or something. Although it is true that they do nothing for you at full load, I'm using them to make my computer quieter. The only time my computer is at full load for very long is playing Q3A. I have a temperature controlled exhaust fan, in addition to the temperature controlled fan in my power supply. I have the thermister for the exhaust fan attached to my cpu heat sink. Since probably at least 50% of the heat in the case is from the cpu, the case temp can stay very cool with bost fans barely idling when my system is idle (& chip is completely cool with rain enabled). When I'm play QIII, you can here the fans ramp up, but the QIII sounds cover it up anyway.

90% of the time, my system is very quiet!

Comment

surferpop: I never had any trouble with rain. Installing is easy, and uninstalling shouldn´t be a problem. I agree with Greebe and Rohde, when cooling is most needed, those "idle" programs do nothing. But face it like this: If after 1h playing Q3 your cpu temp is 10ºC hotter, it would make a difference if you started at 25ºC rather than 35ºC.

I think cpu temperature concern is very overrated. I had a celery 450, and now my Athlon 600 with a dual-fan setup must run like twice hotter than the celery... )

Comment

Working...
                X