Spontaneous reboots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spontaneous reboots

I have on occaision had my computer "reboot"for no reason. Its a very rare occurance, it has happened about 4 times in the last 6 months. The last time it happened seemed to coincide with my wife starting our clothes dryer. I have heard this can be a problem with a bad power supply, but I wonder if a slight fluctuation in household current can cause this. My computer is on a grounded outlet, with a surge protector.

Yes, indeed, fluctuating power can cause spontaneous reboots. I have had my share of those in my own home where the power coming in fluctuates heavily, which I didn't know until I started getting higher powered computer equipment, and it would ocassionally reboot, but only when I had a flourescent light turning on, or flaking out. I went down and purchased a cheap Uninteruptable Power Supply, plugged my tower and monitor into the battery protected part, and the rest of my devices to the surge part of it, and I have not had a single reboot in over 2 months.

Rags

Comment

Thanks Rags, could you suggest a product and what you paid for it? I thought about trying this, but I always thought those units were expensive and used more for buisness systems where you have a server and such an occurence would be a disaster. Of course for a home user losing a large word document or an interuption during a download could be just as bad.

Comment

I would just look for any product that has battery backup, current regulation, and fits your budget.

Rags

Comment

I have purchased two APC Back-UPS 650 for around $200 each. See:
          http://www.apcc.com/products/techspe...ase_sku=BK650M

These units each handle at least two computers + monitors and have auto shut-down capability (I don't use this). They have built-in surge suppression for both the power lines and phone lines (for a modem). They protect against low voltage situations (brown-outs) by using the battery to increase the output voltage to be within specifications under these circumstances.

APC has other output capacity and input voltage units also:
          http://www.apcc.com/products/back-ups/

I would recommend them. They are available in CompUSA, and many places online.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 15 April 2000).]

Comment

I've got a couple of Tripp-Lite surge protectors - one is a UPS. Got the UPS for about $150 or so at CDW.

The really nice thing about Tripp-Lite is that they will replace the protector after it blows itself protecting your stuff. Who else will do that?
            PIII 550@605
            IWill Motherboard VD133
            VIA Chipset
            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
            G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
            DirectX 8.0a
            SB Live! Value
            8x DVD (Toshiba)
            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
            3Com CMX Cable Modem
            Optiquest V95 19"
            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
            Microtek flatbed scanner
            Intellimouse Explorer
            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

APC will also replace the UPS. They will also guarantee to replace any equipment damaged during a lightning strike or such. This is conditional however. See
              http://www.apcc.com/support/service/...ion_policy.cfm

Comment

www.mpja.com has an S.L. Waber 650NET UPS (a real UPS not a quasy SPS)For $129.95. It also communicates with your computer via RS232 cable (big + in my book). P#12401-PS
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

We have a Global Computer Outlet store nearby. Picked up an APC Smart-UPS 700 for $100. Box was destroyed, slight mar on unit and battery was dead. APC replaced the battery for free and life was good. Had the wrong cable and they replaced that too.

Size matters too. Had a Back Ups Pro 420 before and it would only give me 5 minutes after power loss. The 700 gives me 23.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 16 April 2000).]
                  MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                  Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                  512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                  Matrox P
                  X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                  LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
                  X