P3B-F Jumper Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P3B-F Jumper Question

Getting my P3B-F MB ready to go and there is a jumper on the chassis intrusion alarm connector (between the PCI slots). No mention of a jumper there in the manual.

The owner of the place I got it from is away, and his people have no clue! It was the last P3B-F they had so I can't look at another! Need a MURCer here to help me now.

SCompRacer
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

As this is a socalled jumperless mobo, it could be the CMOS flush jumper.

Although Asus mobo's also have a SB-connector (but I don't know if the P3B-F has it), for those who want to have sound in DOS games with a PCI SoundBlaster card.

Do a check on the position of that in the manual.

Check for your latest manual update on:

P3B-F manuals

Jord.

Edit: P.S. is this a jumper inbetween PCI slot 2 & 3? If so, it's showing on the photo as well, so I guess it's the CMOS flusher.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 12 April 2000).]
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hi Jorden. I have a later version manual than the one they have listed. I know as I DL it prior to getting MB. The SB connector is further down on MB, between 3 and 4, and of course gets no jumper.

This is what they call a "chassis intrusion alarm" and is between 2 and 3. You would connect a module with a four pin connector, but the third pin is deleted. So it's pin-pin-space-pin. Jumper is on the first two pins. It jumps chassis signal to ground.

Its a new MB, was sealed in anti-static bag so I have to presume it came from the factory like this. I can remove the jumper and see what happens, or doesn't. Normally any default jumpers are shown in place with description of enable/disable. The manual shows the location of these pins, but no jumpers. Even the section on the module itself makes no mention of it.

Just trying to be proactive here. Looking for a MURCer with his case cover off (good possibility) and posessing good eyesight! It's a 6 PCI/1 ISA 1.04 revision board.

Thanks
      ---------------------------------------------
      cking4@ford.com, you make a very good point! There is a voltage jumper and the jumper you describe. AND the mystery one, of course.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 12 April 2000).]
      Matrox P
      LianLiPC70

Comment

Making another educated guess here: It's your PC-Health/LCDM jumper

My what? Just read up on the following pages

I must say I don't understand it either so someone has to explain, but searching on the internet with Altavista picks up alot of other mobo's with the same switch. Just no-one who explains it

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hold that post!! Someone does know
          http://www5.zdnet.com/products/stori...317641,00.html

Chassis intrusion detection--supported by all five packages--requires a physical switch that recognizes when a system's cover has been removed.

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 12 April 2000).]
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Now you belive me....
            Matrox P
            LianLiPC70

Comment

Sorry I got to this thread late. I have several un-opened P3B-F boards here at work. I have checked the board and yes I have a jumper excactly where you have described.

The manual reports:
              "Chassis Intrusion Alarm Lead
              This requires an external detection mechanism such as a chassis intrusion monitor/sensor or microswitch. The sensor is triggered when a high level signal is sent to the Chassis Signal lead, which occurs when a panel switch or light detector is triggered."

3 pins
              left = +5VSB
              space
              middle = Chassis Signal
              right = GND

The jumper is on the Chassis Signal and GND

The information was on page 38 under Hardware Setup #14.

Hope this helps.
              xippo

Comment

Thank you xippo, for checking some other boards. Feel better knowing they have jumpers too.

My manual is revision 1.05, Jan 2000. They do mention it on page 38, item 14, like you say and added "This function requires the optional ASUS CIDB chassis intrusion module to be installed (see 7.APPENDIX)."

You jump there and they show the module, etc., with description of all it's jumpers, but no mention/picture of a jumper on the MB if it's not used. I read and re-read thinking I was missing it, like "familiarity breeds contempt."

Just wanted to proceed with confidence. I do appreciate all the efforts to assist!

Thanks!
                Matrox P
                LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
                X