Win2000 and DOS.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2000 and DOS.....

Anyone have experance with running DOS apps in WIN2000? reason I ask is that I'm working at a place that is using a FoxPro 2.6 database to run real estate searches and data base entery for the same. We have a bunch of POS Compaqs runing Win95/98/98SE and I'm constantly going over unscrewing the machines that lock up on the database program. The Foxpro Database is supposed to get replaced by a SQL7 setup in the future and everything done by a web based apps. Any comments?

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

A quick check of MS Windows 2000 site indicates that FoxPro 2.6 (DOS) will run under Win2000.

It sounds like your firm is running Win2000 Server and each of the networked 'puters runs Win98. First off, does FoxPro run o.k. on the server? If so, what permissions do the users have (i.e. Power User, Administrator, etc.). If it's simply "User", then this may be the problem area.

They may need to be given "Power User" status and threatened with bodily harm if they screw up the server...

There are certain applications that write to the hard disk and need at least Power User status for the user.

------------------
    Gateway G6-400 - Intel 440bx Tabor mobo, 128mb RAM, Intel PIII 550 processor, Matrox G400 SH, onboard Ensoniq AudioPCI sound chip, Epson Perfection 610 Scanner and Windows 2000 Professional
    Gateway Performance 850 - Matrox G450 32mb DDR, SB Live! Value, Promise UltraATA 66 & 30GB HD - and Windows 2000 Pro

Comment

Nope they are being run on a Novell 4.12 server. The problem I have here is that most of the time windows9x crashes while running the apps. I tried using the new client32 with the server with very mixed results. Basicly it boils down to that things are on the screwed up side around here and I'm ham-strung on how much leeway I have to go around mucking around with stuff and trying to correct the problems since managment problems(or should I say the lack of managment).

Scott

------------------
      Abit BH6 with a P3-450@558,128mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem, Win98 SE on Western Digital 30.7GB, Win2000 on a WD 13 GB HDD

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
      X