PC upgrade questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC upgrade questions

I am thinking about upgrading my PC. Using information from previous posts I have decided to go for either the AMD Athlon 700+Mhz range, or the Intel equivalent.
    As far as I can see, AMD would appear to be the cheaper option, but one that would require purchasing both a new motherboard and power supply unit/case.

As I have a PII 300Mhz processor already, I could buy an Asus / Abit board and keep the chip until the prices of CPUs have dropped, and I have more money.

1) AMD or Intel?
    2) Which motherboard?
    3) Recommended price band?

Cheers,

Patrick (system specs to follow -dont flame me for the links! just trying to help!)
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Well, i guess it depends on how often you like to upgrade (and how often you can afford it )

I would wait until Spitfire/Thunderbird comes out and the dust settles a bit, and then get whatever seems like the best buy at that time.

If you really want to upgrade _now_ then it's really tricky, you'd probably be happy with either, and if you need a new power supply for an AMD it'll be about the same price providing you're willing to overclock.

Seems like some people still have a hard time with Athlons and their motherboards, but then again people have problems with VIA 133A motherboards as well, and buying a BX board is a gamle if you want to get a FSB of 133 MHz and above. So, all in all, all options have their potential pitfalls.

If you're not planning to overclock I say get a good BX board and a Coppermine 700 (or something like that), it seems like the most problem-free solution at the moment.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

------------------
    P3 500, 224 MB ram, G400 16SH,
    Maxtor DM 40+ 30GB, IBM Deskstar 16GP 10GB, Maxtor 4320 13 GB
    SB Live Value
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I agree with CHAAS. If you decide to to take AMD route, you'd probably want to wait until the Thunderbird and Spitfire have been released and prices begin to drop.

Intel may be the path of least resistance, but you should still wait a couple of weeks. We should see another price drop by the end of the month. In addition, the yields on the first stepping of Coppermines aren't quite as consistantly good as the second.

Then there's your motherboard situation. Asus's Apollo Pro 133A board seems to be the way to go right now, but the board really responds better to newer, faster parts, and you may not want to upgrade your RAM and hard drive.

Asus is about to release a nice "Coppermine-ready" BX board. You won't get the "true" 133 MHz support (aka, the 1/2 AGP divider). The 700 MHz Coppermine should be dropping in price shortly, however, and you may not need it.

Then there's the Intel i815 chipset that's about to be released. There are still a lot of question marks about the chipset which won't get answered until reviewers get their hands on boards based on it.

I suspect it is possible to take this waiting game to extremes, and never upgrade, as there are always newer, faster, and/or cheaper parts on the horizon. I'd definitely wait until the 700 MHz part drops in price if you decide to take the Intel route.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Cheers, I think i will go for the Intel route.....

I dont suppose you have a rough price for the mobo and chip?
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

is this the board you meant?

Comment

hmm, the board you linked to is an Athlon board ......

I think this is the board paulcs was think about:
            http://www.asus.com/products/motherb...ubx/index.html

------------------
            P3 500, 224 MB ram, G400 16SH,
            Maxtor DM 40+ 30GB, IBM Deskstar 16GP 10GB, Maxtor 4320 13 GB
            SB Live Value

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

hey, my first double post

[This message has been edited by CHHAS (edited 10 April 2000).]

Comment

Cheers, I have decided to wait until august when i can spare the cash. By then top of the range today will be yesterdays news...

Comment

Working...
                X