Intel I815 boards are showing up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel I815 boards are showing up.

Just saw at AGN3d that I815 boards are due to be released in May. Looks like the BX is old hat finally. But we'll see soon enough.

------------------
    PIII 650E at 805Mhz, G400Max, Asus P3B-F (ain't none better!), 384MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.
    PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

They appear to all have on-board video along with the AGP slot. I'm having trouble with this AMR and Codec '97 business. Now on-board video. I hope this is not just a i810 board with an AGP slot. What I'd really like to see is something akin to a BX board with true 133 MHz support. No on-board audio, no software modem slots, and absolutely no on-board video. I know they can (and will) be disabled, but I'd rather not have to deal with it.

My kingdom (such as it is) for a BX board with a 1/2 AGP divider. It doesn't seem like a lot to ask for, but you get the feeling if such a thing existed, Rambus would be sunk.

"Integrated solutions" are fine for OEM's and the people who buy from OEM's, but they suck for us.

Sorry about the rant, but I think someone from Intel needs to be taken to the woodshed. I've read about a "Solano II." Hopefully, it will be a "non-integrated" solution.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

The board in the picture was a Micro ATX had 2 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot and no onboard video.
      I am pretty sure some manufacturers will produce a board we can all use, or Intel is in for a world of hurt. As it standfs now I see Intel as a company who is in very real danger of losing the desktop market. I hope they can fix it soon enough.
      PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

It appears that the i815 will be just the i810 with an AGP slot with very little else - it will remain in the value PC sector and will not be performing against the BX chipset as this is what the i820 was meant for (but has yet to succeed).

Also, YoKoMo[1], the i810 had the display facilities integrated into the motherboard chipset I so the lack of an additional onboard graphics chip does not mean that the i815 will not have onboard graphics - see this picture of the SuperMicro 370SWM board. http://supermicro.com/images/Imag_Pr.../370SWM_sm.JPG

I was actually very impressed by the i810 chipset (in a value sense!). For $120/£75 you could have a motherboard with reasonable graphics and sound, as well as a 56k Internet connection. For a ZX system you could pay this for the motherboard alone, add on $30/£20 each for sound, graphics and software modem for an identical performing system made from generic parts. The i810 solution has would make an excellent 2nd system for word processing, internet and email and some gaming for my LAN parties - it was running as a Q3 server at my last one.

As for a BX board with 1/2 AGP div, true 133 support and maybe even UDMA66/100 and AGP 4x I'd love - but we'll all just have to settle for an off-chipset U66 controller and 2x/89Mhz agp and fairly stable 133. Even the i840 chipset appears to be worse than the BX/GX boards. At least Intel are going the right way with Coppermine.

Also, YoKoMo, I take it your P3 couldn't make it to 865 (6.5*133) - I am planning to get a 600E to overclock to 800 - would you know if this is probable?

Thanks,

Paul.
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Pace, your 600E should do 800 easy..mine is stable at 900 but the agp tops out at 882 rock solid .

------------------
          Abit BF6, P3 600E AT 882,vantec 5030 cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

My bad, I saw that earlier today about the video being built into the chip. I'll reserve judgement til after it's released and sites have had time to fiddle with it.
            Intel has to do something or they'll be in trouble.

Comment

Working...
            X