Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New $100 US coin with multi-ethnic Lady Liberty

I think it looks neat.

The United States Mint has unveiled a $100 gold coin featuring an African-American woman as the face of Lady Liberty for the first time in the history of U.S. currency.

The 24-karat gold coin, which marks the Mint's 225th anniversary, was debuted on Thursday in the Department of the Treasury's Cash Room in Washington, D.C.

It is the first in a series of gold coins featuring Lady Liberty, which has been used on American coinage since the late 1790s, as an ethnic woman, Mint Principal Deputy Director Rhett Jeppson said in a statement.

Other editions will use designs representing Asian, Hispanic Americans and others "to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States," Jeppson said.

"We boldly look to the future by casting Liberty in a new light... looking forward to ever brighter chapters in our nation's history book," Jeppson said.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

This shows the reverse, a flying eagle which to me is also gorgeous.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Have you ordered already?
      Looks nice, very American.

I would like 100 Kronen, they are still minted today with the date of last issue in 1915
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 14 January 2017, 14:06.

Comment

Waiting to see what the other editions will look like. I'd be hoping they go whole hog with versions for the Inuit, Caribbean, Hispanic, Middle Eastern and Subcontinent "-Americans."

In this region a trip to the mall is like a trip to the UN. As I mentioned in politics, where else would the guy at the end of the block be a Sikh, County Sheriff, and a carrd-carrying Trump Republican?
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
        X