X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla S & X P100D (super) Ludicrous Mode

Now they're just showing off....

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...tory/89212832/

SAN FRANCISCO - How about an automobile that can keep pace with a $1.4-million Ferrari LaFerrari supercar for about one-tenth the price?

That's the latest proposition from Tesla, whose electric sedans will now be capable of hitting 60 mph in a scant 2.5 seconds, or about twice as fast as a Bentley Continental Flying Spur and on par with Ferrari's latest state-of-the-art machine.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced the news Tuesday on a conference call, noting that the new top-of-the-line Tesla Model S P100D with aptly named Ludicrous mode will cost $134,500. The Model X P100D with Ludicrous will cost $135,500 and hit 60 in 2.9 seconds.

The cars have ranges of 315 and 289 miles respectively. Breaking the 300-mile barrier (up from 294 for the 90D) is an incremental if symbolic milestone as the automaker looks to erase so-called range anxiety as a reason not to buy an electric car.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It does make you wonder about Roborace: from next year, they plan racing autonomous electric cars (not even a person inside) at venues where they hold Formula E races.

The cars' design is very futuristic, and without a driver in the picture one wonders how things will go: the cars could accelerate and brake much faster than a person could. The initial series will be using the same cars, with the only difference in the algorithms.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I don't know when I'll have an electric car.

Speaking of cars: VJ, do you still have the Polo? I spent €€€ fixing it, was in service for a week. I put on standard exhaust because the spoilsports won't let me have the sporty Supersprint (only homologated for Fiat Punto. Now the car won't start again - probably starter.

Comment

Yes, I still have it and use it daily. The last fixings it needed was some component in the front suspension and the driver-side window that did not close (on a rainy day of course, this was 3 years ago). As for normal things: I needed to change the brakes and had an expensive maintenance was at 120000 km, when they have to change the drive belt and some things there (it is a scheduled change). I'm not counting the tire that needed fixing after a screw punctured it. :-) Next maintenance will include a gearbox oil change, so might be a bit more expensive than a regular maintenance. I should probably also get a new battery, I'm now at my 3rd one, which is close to 5 years old; I want to be prepared for the next winter.

But it now has close to 140000 km and is still like new to drive and feels reliable.

My parents bought an Open Mokka, but I don't really like that car. It is not so comfortable, feels massive but despite that is not bigger inside than the Polo. The gadgets are nice (e.g. the rear view camera), but overall I would choose something else than that model. As far as I'm considering now: so much is changing in the car market, that I am not even thinking about a new one and I hope that my Polo will work for some years to come.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
        X