Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escape room

Hello!

Yesterday, my girlfriend surprised me with a trip to an Escape Room. We never did it before and joined with 3 friends on this first trial. The room was said not to be too difficult, and slightly different from other Escape Rooms.

For those that don't know the concept: they put you in a room, where you have to find the way out; usually this means having to find some key or solve some puzzles. This one was slightly different: you were put in a room where you have to find clues to identify who killed a person. You get his last will, photos and short description of the suspects and a box with a display: the display shows the time (you have one hour), allows the person monitoring it to give hints if needed and allows for asking for help or telling the solution.

The room had this 30s interior, nice concept but not too well finished (probably from other people trying to pry open stuff or so).

I assume that not many here will find there way to that particular room, but if you would plan an escape room in Warsaw, you may want to skip the part between the lines. I am not giving any solutions here though, but the surprise effect of entering the room is nice to have.

The room had some weird items in it: an old camera, a piano, two old wall clocks right next to each other (did not open, did not work), some furniture and a bar behind saloon doors where there was an old working telephone and an old radio playing music - the box for the radio had a coin slot. There was a hidden safe, for which we first had to find the combination. Information in the safe allowed us to get a clue on how to open a secret door in the room (very cool) and that gave us clues to another secret room, which really was a surprise. Despite the fact that the details in the room were not very nicely finished, it was all very nicely done. The operator gave us 2 hints: once regarding an object that we put aside (it was said that all objects serve one purpose, but this one can be argued to serve 2 purposes - I thought I had to do that but some thing looked too flimsy) and a second time regarding gaining access somewhere (we had the right idea, but executed it wrong).

We solved the mystery in about 45 minutes, so not too shabby for our first time.

It really had a real-life point-and-click adventure feeling to it: you just try things and see what happens. I do think that 5 people is perhaps too much, that particular mystery was for 2-6, and you really need 2 people to perform some things. With 5, one of our group did not seem to have figured out any clue but he found other things that we missed but unfortunately for him did not need. But all of us had fun in it.

For sure we will do it again, next time perhaps some more difficult one.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I had my first just last week. Was nice but, uhm, no, I will not do another soon. Prefer pubquizzes.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

What was the topic of the escape room?

Here in Warsaw, they are popping up like mushrooms and they are gaining popularity. It was more fun than I anticipated. We were a bit worried to either not find the solution, or to find it too fast. The first hint (regarding the object) sort of kickstarted us: we got that hint after about 20 minutes in, and after that we were on a roll. We already identified several things that could be a clue, but it was too early for them.

I once participated in such a quiz evening, and it was nice. But sometimes they come up with such questions... Friends of mine do such quizzes regularly and they actually study for it. Learning all sort of weird trivia and facts just because they may be in a quiz (things like: how many sharp points does a beer bottle lid have?). I wouldn't mind such quizzes but without studying, just the fun of seeing who knows which facts.
      pixar

Comment

Next year I will be going on a cruise ship around the Caribbean and transatlantic home. It was called the Splendour of the Seas. It is currently being refitted and will become the TUI Discovery. It has a feature I've never seen on a cruise ship before - an Escape Room! As we'll be on for 3 weeks, with 6 days straight on the transatlantic stretch, no doubt I'll be trying some escaping of my own

I've done one once before in Leicester. There was a group of 8 of us, which fortunately included my maths-genius son, whom we needed for a fiendish maths problem!

Oh, and a popular feature of all cruises is the quizzes. I tend to do all those too
        FT.

Comment

It was within a hidden chamber within the former stock exchange builder. Apparantly the architect was a member of the League of Keys or somesort. Illuminati like. We needed to find keys to escape and when we did it turned out it was a test and we passed so now I am a member. A bit contrived but fun.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
            Next year I will be going on a cruise ship around the Caribbean and transatlantic home.
            I'm not sure cruises are for me: either I would be bored after some days, or I would just enjoy the open view and stare at the ocean the whole time. But honestly, I do not know which of those two it would be. But for sure an opportunity to do some escape room! :-)

I read in comments that many escape rooms focus too much on having to find keys. The one we were at did not have a single key. There were some codes or secret opening mechanisms, so in a sense not that different, but from comments online it seems people liked this lack of keys.
            pixar

Comment

The thing about cruises is its like staying in a 5 star hotel (admittedly with smaller rooms unless you are very rich) but when you open the front door each day you are in a different city.

Most cruises are 7-14 days, and unless you are going transatlantic will probably only have a few sea-days, usually non-consecutively too. Getting bored is unlikely. As you can tell we love it, and this will be our 8th cruise. Most people get hooked.

There are of course those which cater for the young at heart, and those that cater for people who think kids should never be seen or heard!

The transatlantic part of our cruise is relatively cheap as they are a lot less popular, but they do put on a lot more entertainment during the crossing.
              FT.

Comment

We have escape room here. The friend who has gone with his young niece really liked it. He also likes cruises.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                  The thing about cruises is its like staying in a 5 star hotel (admittedly with smaller rooms unless you are very rich) but when you open the front door each day you are in a different city.
                  That part I would like for sure! Not having to repack, and visiting different cities. My only fear would be that the visit to a city would be too short. But I'm not so sure about the transatlantic part... :-)

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
                  We have escape room here. The friend who has gone with his young niece really liked it. He also likes cruises.
                  Are you suggesting there is a correlation?
                  pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                    Are you suggesting there is a correlation?
                    I don't think so, I've never met his young niece.
                    FT.

Comment

I didn't see that one coming....
                      pixar

Comment

I don't get it...

Comment

Working...
                        X