Hello, Ubuntu! Welcome to Windows!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, Ubuntu! Welcome to Windows!

Update: Here's how to get started  using Ubuntu on Windows See also Scott Hanselman's blog here I'm in San Francisco this week, attendin...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I actually asked for this in the preview feedback.

Comment

Thought it was an April fools' joke at first...

I guess it may be a repurposing of Project Astoria code? (the shelved/discontinued project to run Android apps on Windows).

What is Microsoft's long-term goal of app API for Windows Server?

If this linux system call translation layer gets good enough, I can see vendors abandoning Win32 and WinRT/UWP/<whatever it's called today> for just writing Linux code and running on Windows and Linux platforms.

If they don't want to sacrifice Windows APIs, then I expect them to either prevent server apps like Oracle DB / WebLogic / WebSphere / etc. from running, or limit its performance substantially.... Or maybe they will only include the Linux translation layer in the non-server versions of Windows ?

Anyway... interesting times ahead.

Comment

Apparently a lot of people did. Enough that the powers that be said, "Hey, let's run Linux on Windows."

So glad the Balmer days are gone.

Good demo with an tech demo here:

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
          What is Microsoft's long-term goal of app API for Windows Server?

If this linux system call translation layer gets good enough, I can see vendors abandoning Win32 and WinRT/UWP/<whatever it's called today> for just writing Linux code and running on Windows and Linux platforms.

If they don't want to sacrifice Windows APIs, then I expect them to either prevent server apps like Oracle DB / WebLogic / WebSphere / etc. from running, or limit its performance substantially.... Or maybe they will only include the Linux translation layer in the non-server versions of Windows?
          The articles I have read say straight up that it's only the Ubuntu user-mode that is available. That anything approaching server or heavy workloads won't work. Additionally, ELF64 binaries will only run inside of bash. Anything that won't run inside of bash won't run in Windows.

At least that's how understand it.

That's not so say things won't change in the future.

Interesting time indeed.

Comment

Working...
          X