Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PIII 550E or 600E/ slot1 or fcpga your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIII 550E or 600E/ slot1 or fcpga your thoughts?

So Im gettin a new processor. I will definatley overclock. What do you think the best bang for the buck between these 2 chips are? Do you think the slot1 will overclock as well as FCpga with stock cooling? Its going to be on a BE-6 mb..micron 128mb pc100 cas2 memory, G400 32mb vanilla, diamond mx300, 2 nic cards and a quantum hd. I really havent had any problems overclocking other processors with this setup. So anyway your thoughts on which one YOU would get for your rig.

------------------
    Flux capacitor overclocked to 1.31 jigawatts

On FC-PPGA you will always have the airpocket inside the socket!

------------------
    INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
    SBlive
    192 MB RAM CAS2
    43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
    SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

wow I must honestly say I have no idea what the "air pocket" you are talking about is? are you saying that is a good or a bad thing?

Comment

For a BX board/Coppermine combination, the higher the multiplier the better. You have your AGP card to worry about, and the higher multiplier may permit for a higher overclock without as much stress on it.

For a motherboard with full 133 MHz support, the 600E makes to 800 MHz while the rest of your peripherals remain at spec. It's one of those ideal overclocks, like the jump from 300 to 450 MHz that the Celeron 300A provided.

All around, the 600E is a better choice, although the yields on the 550E's appear to be great.

The flip chip CPU's should be cheaper, although you'll have to get a slocket with Coppermine support. They appear to be easier to get as well. The Slot 1 CPU's, of course, are easier to work with. You just stick them in the slot, and don't have to worry about an extra component. They won't be easier for long, however, as Intel is phasing the Slot 1 format out in favor of Socket 370.

I've heard of people getting very good results with both. I have a Slot 1 PIII 600E running at 800 MHz, 1.75 V, with stock cooling. My next CPU, however, will most likely be an FC-PGA PIII.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 07 April 2000).]

Comment

I like the flip chip, it seems to be very easy to run at 133fsb. I have the 500@667, 550@733 and the 600@800. Quality PC133 memory is an important ingredient and the mobo 133 full support Paul mentioned is best. With the 550 and 600 I am satisfied with the P3V4X. The 500 is running well on the P3B-F but with AGP over clocked.

I have wondered about the "air pocket" with the flip chip. On the 550 it seemed that the bonding agent around the chip might be higher than the surface of the chip. That means the heat sink will not make perfect contact with the chip's surface. I had removed the thermal strip from the retail heat sink and applied white thermal grease (from radio shack), which is much thinner and may create the "air pocket". This 550 runs 4 deg. C above the others. I took it apart and added more grease, but it still runs warmer. Do you think this is possible; it's hard to believe? I could take it apart and have another look.
          I find the flip chip heat sink is very difficult to clip onto the socket and you have to make sure it is in perfect contact with the chip. I find that it is almost to the breaking point of the socket adapter. If it is put on the wrong way it will not make contact and the chip will be exposed to excessive heat.

Comment

Thanks Paul that was what I was looking for..to hear that you actually have a slot1 that overclocked to 800 with no problems (or at least it runs stable anyway). I think im going for a 600e slot1. Thanks for all the info!

------------------

Comment

How about 900 with 2d only.. 882 games benches etc rock solid and cool.. slot 1 600E oem medium grade cooler good ram..Im happy for about a week ..I hear the celerons do a gig with air only..MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm

Matt

------------------
              Abit BF6, P3 600E AT 882,vantec 5030 cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Abit BF6, P3 secc 700E AT 1001,alpha cooler,256 megs Micron 7.5ns pc133 ram, G400 32meg Dh ,Promise fasttrack striping 2 Quantum ka 18gig's + 2 10gig IBM's ,Sb-live platinum ,Cambridge Fps2000 speakers ,Onstream 30gig tape ,Sony cdrw ,toshiba dvd, Lotsa fans,cables ,noise....

Comment

I've been thinking about upgrading too. From what I've read so far, the best one for O/C right now is the 550E Slot 1 (limited availability though).

However, the new Celeron-2 is out now, and the guys at HardOCP have the 533 version up to 800MHz without any fancy cooling at all. You could save yourself a couple hundred bucks going that route, and the only thing you're missing is the extra 128KB of L2. Benchmarks show the celeron2 much closer to the P3 then the price difference would suggest.

I'll have to replace my mobo too, before I do this, since my early revision P2B-S doesn't support coppermine (according to the asus website anyway). I think I'll grab a P3V-4X. Looks like a sweet board.

Andrew
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                X