Falcon 9 Full Thrust: ORBCOMM-2 (11 sats): launch date/time, webcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon 9 Full Thrust: ORBCOMM-2 (11 sats): launch date/time, webcasts

SpaceX is working towards an ORBCOMM-2 NET of about Dec 15.

This launch is 11 OG-2 commsats, a return to flight (RTF) after last suppers upper stage failure, and the first flight of Falcon 9 Full Thrust - a +30% performance upgrade.

They're also working on USAF approval to do the stage landing attempt at SpaceX Landing Complex 1 (KSC LC-13) rather than on the drone ship.

The plan forward is to land low propellant margin Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy center cores on the drone ship, and high propellant margin Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy cores on land.

Yup, 11 sats at once, RTF and a land touchdown attempt may be just 2 weeks away.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2015, 14:19.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Pulling all that off be impressive.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

What'll be impressive is landing 3 Falcon Heavy cores at LC1; 2 simultaneously and the 3rd a few minutes later.

From ORBCOMM

Sierra Nevada Corporation Completes Shipment of 11 Satellites for ORBCOMMs OG2 Mission 2 Launch

SPARKS, Nev. (Nov. 30, 2015) Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) has delivered 11 ORBCOMM Generation 2 (OG2) satellites to the launch site at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, for ORBCOMMs upcoming OG2 Mission 2 launch aboard the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, which is targeted for mid-December 2015. As the prime contractor for ORBCOMMs OG2 satellites, SNC is responsible for the design, manufacture and integration of the OG2 satellites in the constellation.

SNC looks forward to completing the OG2 constellation with the delivery of 11 flight-proven and highly-capable satellites for the Mission 2 launch, said Mark N. Sirangelo, corporate vice president of SNCs Space Systems. These 11 satellites were integrated and tested in a high-volume production environment, demonstrating our ability to efficiently integrate and produce constellations in this class. In addition to the design and build of all OG2 satellites, SNC will also support launch, in-orbit testing and deployment of these satellites simultaneously from our Satellite Operations Center in Louisville, Colorado.

SNC successfully completed the Pre-Ship Review in late October 2015, and soon thereafter, all 11 satellites were shipped to the launch site, initiating launch operations. During launch operations, with the support of SNC engineers and technicians, the OG2 satellites will undergo further post-transport testing, fueling and inspection. This approach builds upon the OG2 Mission 1 launch and deployment of six spacecraft in July 2014. Following the launch and the completion of in-orbit testing, the spacecraft will be incorporated into ORBCOMMs global machine-to-machine (M2M) communications network, consisting of the Mission 1 OG2 spacecraft currently in operation as well as ORBCOMMs Generation 1 (OG1) spacecraft. ORBCOMMs ubiquitous M2M network provides tracking, monitoring and control services for remote and mobile assets in core markets including transportation and distribution, heavy equipment, industrial fixed assets, oil and gas, maritime and government.

ORBCOMM and SNC are pleased to be in the final stages of the launch and test of our advanced next generation OG2 satellites, said Marc Eisenberg, ORBCOMMs chief executive officer. We expect to be offering our customers in Q1 2016, an enhanced, more efficient communications network, significantly increasing network capacity, coverage and performance, including an Automatic Identification System (AIS) payload on every spacecraft.

All OG2 spacecraft are based on SNCs flight-proven SN-100 satellite bus, which can be tailored to support a variety of applications, including communication, Earth observation, weather and space science. The SN-100 is designed for a five-year-minimum life and utilizes a modular payload deck that can be rapidly integrated and tested using highly automated scripts to test all functions. This allows the baseline satellite to be quickly and cost-effectively configured to meet the needs of many customers.
      11 OG2 satellites ready for shipment and the MOOG satellite dispenser

Landing Complex 1 concept from the environmental impact study
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 December 2015, 14:42.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

SpaceX will try to land its next Falcon 9 rocket on solid ground, NASA says

When SpaceX launches its Falcon 9 rocket again, the company will attempt to land the vehicle back on solid ground, Florida Todayreported. So far, the company has only attempted landing their rockets on ships out at sea, but SpaceX's ultimate goal is to eventually touch down its rockets on land-based spaceports. If the company's landing is successful, it will be the first step toward making the Falcon 9 a reusable rocket.

The "very exciting news" came from a NASA representative, who made the announcement today to members of the press at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. "Their plan is to try to land [the next booster] out here on the Cape-side," said Carol Scott of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, referring to Cape Canaveral, where SpaceX typically launches from. Scott said she had recently talked about the landing plan with a SpaceX executive. SpaceX declined to confirm the news.
        >
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Charles A. Lurio @TheLurioReport
          SpaceX launch date for return to flight now 19 Dec.- proximate cause a payload issue. AF approves booster return to land, Optimism FAA ditto
          5:39 PM - 5 Dec 2015 · Newton, MA, United States

ORBCOMM had a late payload issue with the first batch as well.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Static fire: December 16

Launch date: December 19

Launch window: 20:25 to 23:25 Local (Eastern)

Webcasts: starts 20-30 minutes before T=0 - YouTube SpaceXChannel, Livestream SpaceX, http://www.SpaceX.com/webcast

The YouTube Event won't appear in their channel until just before it begins.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 December 2015, 18:03.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Mr. Musk is under some pressure to put some points on the board after Blue Origin upped the score.

Blue Origin.jpg

You think maybe they're compensating for something?

Comment

New Shepard isn't as big a deal as publicised. Its an order of magnitude smaller, wasn't the first suborbital vehicle to return from space to a landing, and is not an orbital vehicle. Apple's and oranges.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

All packed up and ready to go

ORBCOMM company mission patch

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

F9 FT vertical on the pad - static fire engine test soon. Launch still on for Saturday, pending this test.

ASDS drone ship on the move from SpaceX Jacksonville, presumably in case a land stage touchdown can't be made for weather or lack of FAA approval.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Trying again today for a static fire.

F9 overnighted on the pad. Working out kinks in the new propellant super-chilling system; LOX to -340°F, RP-1 (kero) to 20°F. Gives more propellant per tank volume.

New launch NET is Sunday Dec. 20th with a window of 20:02 to 23:02 Eastern.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 12s12 seconds ago
                        Static fire test looks good. Pending data review, will aim to launch Sunday.

The Sunday launch attempt has an instantaneous T-0 of 2029 Eastern. The next opportunity is the 22nd with a 15 minute window.

An FAA statement that SpaceX landings won't present a problem indicates a stage landing at LC-13's Landing Zone 1, if weather permits.

Weather Sunday: 90%
                        Weather Tuesday: 60%
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 December 2015, 20:53.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Moved to Monday night

Elon Musk ‏@elonmusk 2m2 minutes ago
                          Just reviewed mission params w SpaceX team. Monte Carlo runs show tmrw night has a 10% higher chance of a good landing. Punting 24 hrs.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X