Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unnamed Star Trek series (2017: CBS All Access streaming)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unnamed Star Trek series (2017: CBS All Access streaming)

Following the successful Netflx/Amazon/Uulu internal production model, only on the CBS All Access streaming platform.

Alex Kurtzman is attached to the new series, which will premiere in January 2017 on CBS before new episodes debut on its digital and VOD platform.

New 'Star Trek' TV Series in the Works

Alex Kurtzman who is behind the new feature film franchise, is looking for a writer.

Just in time for its 50th anniversary,*Star Trek*may be returning to the small screen.

Prolific producers*Alex Kurtzman*is developing a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic for TV,*The Hollywood Reporter*has learned. A formal announcement with additional details is expected to come later this morning.*

The drama is set up at CBS Television Studios, where Kurtzman and Orci's K/O Paper Products banner is under an*overall deal. A search is under way for a writer to take on the cult hit. A network is not yet attached but the goal is for the potential series to be on the air late next fall on either cable or a streaming service, sources say. Should a new*Star Trek*series come together for next fall, it would air as the franchise is poised to celebrate its 50th anniversary as the original series debuted Sept. 8, 1966.

The new*Star Trek*TV series would continue Kurtzman's relationship with the beloved franchise. He currently produces theStar Trek*feature film series, writing 2013's*Star Trek Into Darkness*and 2009's franchise revival. The fourth in the franchise set for 2019. *

CBS TV Studios distributed the original series, which was produced by Paramount Television and Desilu Productions. Created by*Gene Roddenberry*and starring*William Shatner*and*Leonard Nimoy, the series ran for three seasons and 79 episodes from 1966-67 on NBC and became a monster hit via syndication. It spawned an animated series (1973-74), a series of feature films, starting in 1979, and four TV follow-ups including*The Next Generation*(1987-1994),*Deep Space Nine*(1993-99),*Voyager(1995-2001) and*Enterprise*(2001-05).

News of a new*Star Trek*TV series comes as the franchise has been mired in rights issues between CBS and Paramount after Viacom merged with CBS in 2000. CBS Corp. absorbed Paramount for television, while Paramount Studios — the company that distributed the films — went to Viacom.

The*Star Trek*revival comes as reboots and follow-ups continue to be in high demand on broadcast (and cable/streaming). Kurtzman*— and frequent partner Roberto Orci, who is not attached to CBSTVS'*Star Trek*— is behind CBS' follow-up to Bradley Cooper's*Limitless*and also exec produces the network's veteran*Hawaii Five-0*reboot. The K/O banner currently has four shows on the air —*Hawaii, Limitless*and sophomore drama*Scorpion*as well as Fox's*Sleepy Hollow. K/O is repped by CAA and Gendler Kelly. *
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Most people in the US that I see on discussion groups want to see Star trek but not as a pay service from a OTA network. Some already pay for CBS via their cable plan so why pay even more..
    Basically Free OTA or they're not interested..
    paulw

Comment

CBS All Access is a streaming service like Netflix, so it has the advantage of watch anywhere. Besides new and exclusive content it has archived shows going way back snd, in many locales, it mirrors your local affiliate. If your power goes down, power up the tablet and you can watch flicks or the weather map updates
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 November 2015, 23:04.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

New Star Trek... interesting!
        I am not a big fan of the new movies though: to me it feels like children reacting the original series... The look also adds to this. Then again, I kinda liked Enterprise (and SGU, but that is a different franchise), so my taste may differ...

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        If your power goes down, power up the tablet and you can watch flicks or the weather map updates
        It would require a proper 4G data plan I guess... and not sure if in the event of a power failure you would get good enough performance from it...
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          CBS All Access is a streaming service like Netflix, so it has the advantage of watch anywhere. Besides new and exclusive content it has archived shows going way back snd, in many locales, it mirrors your local affiliate. If your power goes down, power up the tablet and you can watch flicks or the weather map updates
          At $6/month for each channel you watch it seems like this sort of plan is going to become untenable in the aggregate for cable subscribers.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Last I checked streaming is now 60% of used bandwidth.

We have excellent AT&T LTE, and they're exploring LTE Broadcast.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well, I was talking more about cost.
              Say you have 10 channels you watch regularly that produce material like this.
              That would be $60/Month on top of your cable tv, netflix,etc bill.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

So far only in-house productions by Amazon and CBS aren't available on Netflix or Hulu, and ABC/Disney/Marvel, NBC/Universal and Fox are partners in Hulu - which puts up new episodes after broadcast and has its own in-house studio. And we have Amazon Prime for free shipping, we use it a lot, which gets us streaming as a plus.

Amazon + CBS + Netflix + Hulu + >30 HD broadcast channels (counting subchannels).

Total: $30.22/mo (if you figure Amazon Prime as a monthly)

We cut the cable long ago and don't miss it. We have amost too many choices to watch, and all but the broadcasts are available on our mobiles.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 November 2015, 08:59.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

This is all a moot point if data caps (tiering) become the norm. It's going to seriously put a crimp on streaming services.

That said, I'm interested in a new Trek series, but it better be crazy good if I have to pay for CBS All Access.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

FCC has already warned Comcast and others about their data caps.

I've read several stories recently about neighborhoods in sight of a microwave tower setting up their own ISP's. That could get interesting
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 November 2015, 16:04.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Lets see now...
                      I pay my TV provider $110 a month to Fiber based TV (totally awesome by the way)
                      I pay Netflix $8 a month (well worth it)
                      I pay Apple $15 for music service, ok cool

Now CBS wants me to may another monthly fee to watch Star Trek? If we Canadians even get that option?

Sigh, no thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X