Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What in god's name happened in Tianjin? Never seen such an explosion before ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What in god's name happened in Tianjin? Never seen such an explosion before ...

what a horrible accident ...

"Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

It's a big one, but nowhere near as large a boom as the Texas City harbor explosion (2,100 tonnes of ammonium nitrate) in 1947 or the PEPCON Space Shuttle rocket fuel factory explosion in 1988 (4,500 tonnes of ammonium perchlorate + natural gas + other chemicals.) PEPCON tossed around a 737 on approach 7 miles away in Las Vegas.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Not to mention Hallifax in 1917 when the French freighter Mont Blanc, its cargo hold packed with highly explosive munitions–2,300 tons of picric acid, 200 tons of TNT, 35 tons of high-octane gasoline, and 10 tons of gun cotton exploded.

The equivalent of 2.9kt of TNT. The largest man made explosion prior to the Atomic Age.

I'm guessing the casualty count in China is going to go way up from where it is now.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

So it is just an accident? Not a US revenge for China hacking US corporate and governemt systems?

OK, been watching Allegiance a few hours before..
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

probably a result of corruption, negligence an bribery.

Comment

Sounds like it. Besides the explosive chemicals they were also storing mass quantities of arsenic and other toxic compounds, which have contaminated everything in sight.

What a fracking mess....
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

God, I hate vertical video.

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                +1
                paulw

Comment

New video link since the old seems to be dead (atleast I think its the same event)

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
                  I wish every smartphone maker could have the standard video capture app state in red bold letters "You are holding it wrong" and have some "yes, I am an dumbass and I want to film vertical" button with multiple ok confirmations if the phone detects vertical alignment
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Better yet: have the camera app auto-rotate to landscape unless told no to, adjusting the HD resolution mode to fit the orientation.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                      Better yet: have the camera app auto-rotate to landscape unless told no to, adjusting the HD resolution mode to fit the orientation.
                      Always wondered why this wasn't the norm with cell phones that even if you shot in portrait it would record in landscape..
                      paulw

Comment

aww sh***
                        Several hundred tonnes of sodium cyanide at the site

Comment

Another problem is that Tianjin also houses major portions of their space program, including the latest Long March rocket facilities.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X