Tesla Model S gets Ludicrous Mode: 0-60 in 2.8s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Model S gets Ludicrous Mode: 0-60 in 2.8s

And in 4 years a new roadster with a Maximum Plaid mode, another Spaceballs reference.

Tesla adds “ludicrous mode” to Model S, now goes 0 to 60 in 2.8 seconds

In a press call on Friday, Tesla Motors founder and CEO Elon Musk announced some upgrades to the performance version of the Model S, specifically “ludicrous mode,” which, for an extra $10,000, will take the car from 0 to 60mph in 2.8 seconds.

That's already half-a-second faster than the “McLaren F1-fast” Model S P85D that Ars reviewed in May, which offered an "insane mode." When press asked Musk if he hoped this would generate additional sales for Tesla, Musk responded, “I have no idea. We are just trying to make awesome cars,” according to MarketWatch. (A reporter apparently asked Musk what comes after "ludicrous mode," and he said Tesla watchers won't see that level until the company's next-generation roadster in four years—which will come with "maximum plaid.")

In addition, new purchasers of Tesla Model S cars will have the option to upgrade their car with a 90kWh battery pack (up from 85kWh standard) for an extra $3,000. Musk said that this will give the car an additional 15 miles of range at 65mph. MarketWatch said that Musk called the 90kWh battery “important for the Model X SUV,” which is anticipated in the coming year.

Tesla will be adding an option to buy the 70kWh Model S in a single-motor, rear-wheel drive only configuration for $70,000 before incentives. The 70kWh Model S was introduced back in April, but it was only available with dual-motors and all-wheel drive (for $75,000).

Finally, Musk said that Tesla is testing its 7.0 software, which will offer Tesla drivers a number of autonomous driving options. “Right now it works well if the road markings are clear,” Musk said according to MarketWatch. “But faded lines, skid marks, etc., are not easy for the computer to figure out.”
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I need to have another "teambuilding". When I was self employed and had a very good month I rewarded myself with "teambuilding". For example go try BMW 1M (360hp, Akrapovič exhaust). I need to have a tesla one, the company that sells/rents Tesla is very close to my office.

Some people I work with have tried Tesla and acceleration is pretty awesome!
    Last edited by UtwigMU; 17 July 2015, 20:59.

Comment

Working...
    X