Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• urgent language question

Hello,

Small urgent question... How do you refer in a text to a person that holds a PhD but is not a professor?

Something like: "With the help of ... X, ..."

Is it then:
    "With the help of dr. X, ..."
    "With the help of Dr. X, ..."
    "With the help of doctor X, ..."
    "With the help of Doctor X, ..."
    "With the help of X, PhD, ..."
    "With the help of PhD X, ..."
    or something else...?

Thanks!

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 9 July 2015, 08:45.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I do not speak Urgent.... :d

I do not know but I would either chose for "of Dr. X" or "of mr. X, PhD,"
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

By custom, courtesy title abbreviations no longer have a full stop (period) after them. For me, the only correct answer is "With the help of Dr X, ..." but it would be best that the first mention includes fore- and family-names, e.g. Dr John Smith but subsequent mentions should omit the first name, i.e., Dr Smith. Note that some oriental cultures put the family name first, e.g., Dr Lee Mah-Jong, so subsequent mentions should be Dr Lee (except Japanese). To complicate the issue, if, say, a Singaporean of Chinese origin adopts a western forename, the rule is that the family name follows, so Dr James Xiang is Dr Xiang
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

My girlfriend's promoter "corrected" her references to "Phd X", which I think is completely wrong... (and her deadline is Monday)
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

For a European audience I believe it should be Dr John Smith. An American audience would expect John Smith, PhD.
          FT.

Comment

Working...
          X