Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddns + vpn, but behind nat

Hello,

I'm trying to configure a new router (Asus RT-AC51u) at my parents' place, and wanted to configure it as VPN server.

The configuration is:
    Telenet modem/router (DocSis), which does not have DDNS setting, does not support NAT passthrough, but supports DMZ for 1 ip address.
    Asus RT-AC51u: connected with WAN port to a LAN port of the modem/router

I cannot enable DDNS on the Asus, as it says I have an invalid IP for DDNS:
    -
    The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10,x,x,x, or 172.16.x.x).
    This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment.
    -
    And the Asus does not seem to allow the VPN to work if DDNS is not enabled (but I'm not sure on this).

Is there a way around this?
    Plan B was to use an old PentiumII for VPN server, using a DDNS client on the PC (some do allow to work behind nat, but I don't know ), but I'm not sure if this works behind double NAT.
    I was also thinking if I could use a DDNS client on the PC in combination with the VPN server on the asus. But I don't know if the router's VPN server works without the router's DDNS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Ok, just to answer my own question...
    VPN works independant of the DDNS service, despite the warning that tells you to switch on DDNS prior to VPN
    Here is what I did:
    - Asus router in DMZ of modemrouter
    - VPN server configured on Asus
    - Windows client (HomeBeacon) for my DDNS sevice (ChangeIP) on my father's PC

And it appears to work...!

The old router, a Linksys WRT54GL started acting up, and was no longer giving a reliable connection. I'm thinking of installing DDWRT or Tomato on it, so I can use it as a wireless bridge (perhaps with the different firmware and different functionality it would work), as I also could use a wireless brige with a switch. And it might be better at that than the current old Linksys WET54G).
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
    X