Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how come I can't play Holly's theme.snd file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how come I can't play Holly's theme.snd file?

It downloads and looks like it's playing but no sound comes out.
    It works at work (so to speak).
    http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001659.html http://www.bway.net/~motub/theme.snd

chuck

------------------
    ABit BF6, Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, Princeton EO75, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

At least something's working at work

But I had exactly the same thing when I used Netscape. It was trying to d/l it from my own C: drive. Maybe something to do with the player?

IE5 d/l's and plays it without a hitch though. At least, yesterday it did. I'll try in a minute as I wanted to answer something there

Am waiting till my mp3 has uploaded to my http-server though.

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

2 things occur to me, one stupid, one not so stupid...[list=1][*] The file is set to "autostart=false", so you actually have to hit the play button to play it (toldya it was stupid)... this seems to apply to the link as well.[*] Dunno what plays .snd files, but I was surprised when QuickTime loaded as my player rather than the Netscape default player. So maybe you need the QT plug-in (if you use NS). Probably Windows Media Player will play it as well if you use IE, but maybe you don't have that either? Or not set as the default player?[/list=a]

Those are my ideas... sorry to have caused problems with my uncommon file type, but it was the first one I found and I wanted to post asap, given that I had to d/l and u/l again (I wouldn't leech off somebody's site that way by linking directly to the file)-- I didn't even take the time to edit the 532kb file down to the verse in question.

The things I do to catch a joke while it's hot on the MURC...

Hope that helps, anyway.

-----------------------
      Holly

[This message has been edited by HollyBerri (edited 04 April 2000).]

Comment

Hmmmm....
        I use IE5 and I thought I had every codec ever made.

MS media player opens the file.
        I can see it downloading.
        I can press 'Play' and the seek bar moves along like it's playing.
        Just no sound.

I'll keep looking & let you know.

chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

hmmmm Chuck, did you try rightclicking the Mediaplayer with your mouse?? There's lots of options in there, even mute

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

IE5 is evil and must be destroyed!

NS is buggy, bloated, and must be fixed!

Sound is sound and must be COMPATIBLE!!!

*sigh*

I feel for ya Holly...BTW, I got a "unrecognized file type" too, but worked around it with a sound editor...Is this theme prophetic??? Prescient???

Heh!
            Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
            CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
            Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Are you sure it's <u>tulips</u> you smell, Holly?

To the truckload of friends out there: I'll be moving within the next 2 weeks, and could use your help. So pick a plane and fly over and help me out

Jord, getting the keys to their flat tomorrow, Yippie!! Beer's on me, as I'll stick with cola
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Sorry Jord, I can't help.
                When we moved in I had to get my wife's antique wardrobe upstairs to our bedroom.
                Afterward I told here I hoped she liked our new house because I was never moving again!
                My sympathy goes out to you, though!
                chuck

ps Guess I'll miss the beer! rats!

Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

One would profoundly hope so, Bix... we are in the endgame, but you know how endgames are (I'm an old-school Sierra adventure gamer)-- all kinds of confusing crap thrown in at the last minute..

"Always darkest before the dawn," and all that.

Even so, the wedding wouldn't be for some months after I got there anyway.

But were you not on the fori yet when we got engaged? So it's not exactly prophetic or prescient, more like the arrival of that check that's been "in the mail" for some 8 months now.... a well-earned reward for and testament to:
                  - courage (both of us),
                  - dedication and perseverance (Jord),
                  - flexibility and willingness to change (Jord),
                  - level-headedness and crisis management skills (me),
                  - absolute faith in the Good Orderly Direction of the Universe (me),
                  - total stubborn refusal to be denied-- complete with pouting and stamping about (both of us)....

plus a little bit of luck, a liberal dose of magic, and a truckload of help (or six) from our friends.... !!!

But I can say, "home is within sight, now... and I can smell the tulips!"

---------------------
                  Holly

Comment

Fixed it!
                    MS Media Player has a separate volume setting for snd files.
                    In Win 9x the right mouse button is your best friend - use it.
                    chuck

Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

It got saved as a .AU file?!? But it played. Even the embeded version played in IE after pushing play. In Netscape it auto played after loading QT (arrgge!)

Mark F.

------------------
                      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                      and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                      and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                      X