Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy goodness ... Video of the TransAsia airplane crash in Taipeh

seems around 60 people survived

"Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

60? Lucky!

First you say it, then you do it
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      60? Lucky!
      yeah, seems the first news reports got that wrong .. around 60 people were on the plane, approx. 15 people are alive.
      "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Believe this pilot was top notch. Crash advoidence is the number one piority and would have been much worse if he hadn't avoided the buildings.

Recently there was a crash here (Lakeland Fl.) involving a student pilot and instructor. They put the plane into a storage building for a plant that produces airbag safety systems. This outlying building seperate from the plant contained a type of liquid nitrogylcerin chemicals that when dry are extremely explosive. Both died and nothing could be seen of the Piper single engine plane as it went through the roof. The local fire dept would not allow anyone to enter until the area was flooded out with water, thinning down the chemicals. My first question was why in the heck didn't the instructor avoid the building as there was very wide open area all around. FAA has already ruled out aircraft failure and it was a typical beautiful warm clear sky day.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Heard in the news tonite that the pilot had called a mayday with an engine flame out.. Pit puzzled as the plane seemed to be fly level and then dropped the wing. If it had stayed level then I'm sure more would have survived unless the flame out cause some major imbalance in the plane..
          paulw

Comment

Flameout followed by trying to evade structures, got too low/slow & stalled. The roll was probably from the hard turn to evade the highway.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Saw a video on the news with someone that basically says that. One of the engines (right?) was clearly stalled. That engine likely had just enough thrust to avoid the buildings, then lost enough power that the pilot simply couldn't keep the plane stable while trying to avoid the highway. Haven't seen any news of the black box being analyzed to confirm either way.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Saw an update to that on the news. The pilot shut down the good working engine by mistake after the faulty one shut down so basically had no power..
                paulw

Comment

Working...
                X