PC Critix Celeron II Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Critix Celeron II Review

Has anyone read the PC Critix review yet ?

( http://www.pccritix.com/hardware/celeronII/ )

If this is the performance one can expect, who'll wan't one ?

In Q3 a Celeron 2 533 is stomped bad by an P3 550, and when overclocked to 800 it barely beats the 550 P3.

So what if it's cheap? If todays games depend that much on bus-speed and memory bandwith, it just won't be worth the money.

Unfortunately PC Critix didn't bench the Celeron with memory speed at FSB + 33 MHZ, that would have been interesting.

Anyway, just my 0.02$

"That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

CHHAS,
    There's this magical group of people out there, they're called the "average user" -- they don't really play games. Just thought you'd like to know. Also, most business's can save a lot of money by buying a Celeron or a Spitfire.

-Wombat
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hey, no doubt about that Wombat.

But still, I think it is a bit of a disappointment, considering the way the 300A@450 did against the P2 450, but that's life.

I was hoping the new Celeron could save me some $, but it would seem that it really is below Coppermine perfomance

Still hoping for the Spitfire though

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

CHHAS,
        It looks to me like the the OC CII is faster (sometimes by a lot) than the 550E at half the price.
        Plus @ 100mz it needs no exotic memory to get that speed.
        Sounds good to me!
        chuck

ps Things will probably look even better when it's tested on a BX board.

------------------
        ABit BF6, Celery 333@500, 128mb gh@cas2, 10gb IBM@7200, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, Princeton EO75, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yes, but not when taking into consideration the overclocking potential of the Coppermine (and if you're willing to overclock one, then you'll be willing to overclock the other).

What I'd really like to see is some benchmarks with either the Celeron 2 at FSB+33 MHz memory speed, or, the Coppermine with FSB-33 MHz memory speed.

I still can't quite believe that the 33 MHz bus speed, nor the 128 to 256 kb level 2 cache increase, can be so important, maybe there are other differences in the chips ?

Comment

There is always the possiablity these guys have no idea what they are doing. Plus theses are enginering samples. Im going to wait till some more reviews before i form much of an opionon. Right now they still look pretty cool to me.

------------------
            PIII 450 @ 504
            generic BX motherboard
            G400 MAX : )
            GlobalWin VOS32!
            Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 33
            Maxtor 13 gig UDMA 66
            Creative 36x CD-ROM
            96 megs PC100 RAM
            128 megs PC133 ECC RAM
            NetGear 10/100
            Soundblaster 32 AWE
            Diamond SupraExpress 56k
            Logitech Wireless Desktop (best $50 ive ever spent)
            1 92mm Sunon Fan
            4 80mm Sunon Fan's

Comment

CHHAS,

All that article shows is how flawed 3DMark is as a benchmark. Q3 shows where the real numbers lay. I have to say that if I were to be faced with the decision between my P3 550E and that celeron, I would have jumped all over the celeron. The celery has a significant price advantage, and the way I upgrade my HW lately, I wouldn't have had any probs with coughing up cash for the next big cpu that comes out...but that's just me.

Rags

Comment

Yes, still hoping for other reviews to paint another picture, still it's just disappointing to see, I had such high hopes for the new celery.

Think I'll wait for the Spitfire (and keep my fingers crossed )

Comment

I KNOW the spitfire is one hell of a performer, and it performs better than a celeron (or a coppermine in games for that matter), but I will pass on it too unless there are some more compelling reasons to go to an Athlon motherboard.....still waiting.

Rags

Comment

Rags:
                    DDR-RAM? Works for me.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

They should have benched it against a P3-800. That way both would be running at 100fsb. No dought when you crank up the memory, AGP etc to 140mhz+fsb, you will see much higher scores since you are O/C many of the components. The 3Dmark 2000 benchmark is suspect IMO. No way a 550E and a Celeron2 at 800 should be that close...

------------------
                      Celeron 366@567 2.2V, 128meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

Hawkeye,

DDR? Sounds nice if it would actually materialize and DDRSDRAM were available and affordable (which I think IS more likely than say...RDRAM )
                        And maybe stability, compatibility...mostly when the mfrs decide to mature the design a bit more..

Rags

Comment

Erm... guys... what is Spitfire again?
                          (I'm afraid I have missed it)

------------------
                          With k6-2/300, Viper II Z200
                          searchin for truth
                          Odyn

With k6-2/300, Viper II Z200
                          searchin for truth
                          Odyn

Comment

odyn, it's AMD's next generation Athlon"esque" cpu.

Hop over to AMDZone.com

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                            X