New Virus - 911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Virus - 911

Check this site... It's got information about a new and not so nice virus out there...
    http://grc.com/su-911.htm

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Thanks for the heads up Jord! I checked one of the machines on my piddly little peer-to-peer here in the office, and sure enough, Netbios was bound to TCP/IP and his ports were waving at the world inviting any and all comers.

No infection, but it is scary when you think about such a silent virus.

BTW, I've configured my Zone Alarm to notify me on each attempt...have you noticed an increase in activity in the last week or so? Or is it just my paranoia again.
    Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
    CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
    Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Here's a nasty one I've heard of, but don't remember the name of it. The virus infects the hyperlink script for Office, and possibly the OS, can't remember. Once you click on the infected hyperlink it goes to your hard drive and sends a directory/file list to an IP in France and infects the computer with a second file (possibly downloads it from the web?). This one will wipe out your hard drive the first time you boot after the first of the month and give you a nasty message.

If I find the name I will post it. This may be a prank virus that someone told me, but I'll try to confirm...possibly W32/Melting.worm?

Jammrock

------------------
      Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 04 April 2000).]
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

That´s why everyone should use a firewall. I use zonealarm www.zonelabs.com . It´s free for personal use, very efficient and slick. According to www.grc.com all my ports are simply non-existent.

Comment

Working...
        X