Bawdy national anthem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bawdy national anthem?

I've just discovered that the tune of the Star Spangled Banner started out life as a rather bawdy song in England. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Anacreon_in_Heaven - the Myrtle of Venus being the feminine pudenda and Bacchus's Vine being a prominent part of the masculine anatomy.

One learns, even at 82!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Performed on the piano (.mid file). Interesting interpretation of the melody.

(Actually a fairly well-known "secret" among us yanks )
    (And the original is no easier to sing!)
    Last edited by KRSESQ; 9 November 2014, 11:20.

Comment

I recall when I was reading an english translation of a renaissance architectural book (1600's) by Sebastiano Serlio, there was a section on theatre scennery. There was a section on grotesque, where scenery was based on Corinthian column order. Quote: There must especially not want a brothel or a bawdy house.

Comment

We were taught the history of 'The Star Spangled Banner' in junior high including the siege, Key's poem and Smith's comosition. And 'God Save The Queen' is very similar to 1700's dance tunes.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 November 2014, 00:34.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
          And 'God Save The Queen' is very similar to 1700's dance tunes.
          They were dancing the pogo in the 1700s?
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Lots of songs have roots in other music. "Battle Hymn of the Republic" is a collection of two songs. One of them, "John Brown's Body," is a bawdy Union soldier song about a dead brother in arms and defeating the Confederates.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
            X