Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to connect pc, receiver, projector...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect pc, receiver, projector...?

Hello,

I'm figuring out how to connect everything, and need to decide how to connect HTPC to receiver.

HTPC is a new Intel i7 on Asus Z97-A mainboard (has vga, hdmi, dvi, displayport and optical), receiver is an old Marantz SR-6001 (hdmi v1.2 input), output device is an Espson EH-TH2900 LCD projector.

My options obviously are
    1. HTPC --hdmi--> receiver --hdmi-->projector
    2. HTPC --dvi/hdmi-->projector, HTPC --hdmi-->receiver (for audio)
    3. HTPC --hdmi-->projector, HTPC --optical-->receiver

Video considerations:
    - SR6001 does not support deep color, xvColor, 0-255 range, 1080p/60 fps, ...
    - Projector supports all these standards
    Audio considerations:
    - I don't know how the multichannel capabilities of optical compares to hdmi v1.2
    - I can connect the PC to a 7.1 analog input, so any format not supported by receiver can be decoded in PC and sent via analog (this is of course last resort option).

With the above three options, I have the issues:
    Option 1. : lower image quality (but a question is if it would be visible on the projector)

Option 2. : I suspect dual monitor output in clone will cause the limitations of the weakest monitor, which would not provide image quality benefit. Dual monitor in extended desktop results in one screen that I can never see (so I would need to be sure no applications or windows appear there) - this could be settled with software I think. However thinking further: my case has a vga touch screen monitor (supports 1080p input), so one option would be to route the output of the receiver to the small monitor on the case. This would be the most elegant solution as I could still see the receiver's OSD. However I don't know if HDMI-VGA converters would work in this situation... I suspect a HDFury Nano GX might manage, but I'm not sure about the cheaper ones.

in Option 3. : I don't know enough about the standards to know if this limits me or not, nor if during playback the htpc can convert a digital signal to a format supported over s/pdif. (if not, the htpc can most likely decoded it to analog, and then the 7.1 input is possible, but it limits functionality of the receiver to just amplifier)

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

HDMI 1.2 does support 8.1, but not DTS

I have used HDMI to vga convertors the do the job, you can even get ones with audio output.

The most convenient option will be through the reciever, but quality wise separate connections would be best , but you need to try both to see if its worth it.

I use and extended display on my htpc for a side/control display.

A few notes about AMD video card connected to projector through a denon reciever.

The side monitor becomes the main screen when the reciever is turned off, turning the reciever on will make the projector the main screen.
    I wanted the reciever/projector to be the extened screen , but mediaportal TV playback gets jerky as the extened screen.(Also better game/software compatabilty)

I don't like clone mode for HTPC, becasue with extened you can have a web page with tv guides , or playlists, video controls etc on on the control screen < would be awesome with a touch screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman View Post
      I have used HDMI to vga convertors the do the job, you can even get ones with audio output.
      I'm not sure the receiver would accept a non HDCP compliant display, and most HDMI to VGA converters don't mention how they work with HDCP...
      Something like this:

Would it work to convert an HDMI signal from a receiver (Marantz SR6001)?
      I suspect the HDFury I posted early works for sure, but it is quite expensive...

The most convenient option will be through the reciever, but quality wise separate connections would be best , but you need to try both to see if its worth it.
      Yes... I'm currently thinking of going
      PC --DVI/HDMI--> projector
      PC --HDMI--> receiver
      PC --VGA--> side monitor (only has vga)

It would give me three independent displays, with one I would not be able to see. I hope Windows provides enough functionality to move windows on such a display to a visible one. I have read that Intel (I would be using the Intel graphics) supports streaming over multiple outputs simultaneously. This way of connecting also allows me to view the PC on the projector while listening to a different source on the amplifier (sometimes happens).

I still need to put it together, but it looks like I will have plenty of experimenting to do.

The side monitor becomes the main screen when the reciever is turned off, turning the reciever on will make the projector the main screen. I wanted the reciever/projector to be the extened screen , but mediaportal TV playback gets jerky as the extened screen.(Also better game/software compatabilty)

I don't like clone mode for HTPC, becasue with extened you can have a web page with tv guides , or playlists, video controls etc on on the control screen < would be awesome with a touch screen.
      I got the OrigenAE S16t case: it has a touch screen which I intend to use exactly for that purpose. Combined with EventGhost (and the new Tornado plugin), I can have a single webinterface that controls movie, music and home automation from the touch screen.

Adding a HDMI-VGA adapter later might make things slightly easier, as I would only have 2 independent monitors, and both of them visible, but there is no point to doing that if the dual HDMI does not work nicely in the first place.
      Last edited by VJ; 1 October 2014, 03:21.
      pixar

Comment

Yes the HD fury is very effective I have a friend who was using one for projector, it worked very will for HDCP stuff (foxtel movies,,etc)

In windows the microsoft key and the arrow left or right will move a window between displays..

I think intel support of multiple displays may give you some pain, but It should be doable.

Comment

I connected it for now with the HDMI to the receiver, and VGA to a second port. I don't know if it is psychological, but the colours look nicer than they did with my ION based Atom. Perhaps different default settings, or different algorithms, but it looked more realistic. I also saw that the receiver passes through 0-255, and I read it may pass through 1080p/60fps, and some other things, but I need to check that still.

The benefit of connecting it via the receiver is that I can have a second HDMI cable for e.g. a laptop. This is more convenient now that the PC is quite big, and the HDMI cable difficult to reach (with the previous Atom, there was no problem reaching the hdmi cable, as the case was so small and light). So I'll go the easy route via receiver, and have a spare hdmi cable and network cable lying there in case a laptop needs to be connected.

I even found a workaround to still have the image of the PC and listen to a different source. The receiver is connected via serial port to the PC, and can be controlled via EventGhost. While not possible from remote, from serial port you can send the command to change the audio source, independent from the video source (and vice versa). It is my plan to make a nice webinterface to control the receiver, so now I know I should add that functionality.

I have noticed something odd in the Intel graphics drivers: changing the resolution does not always change the resolution (the display still reports the same resolution passed to it). But I'm trying it on Windows 10, so there might be other issues. USB also was not too stable, but the current USB3 drivers don't install on Windows 10.
          Last edited by VJ; 6 October 2014, 03:42.
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X