SpaceX finally craters a big test vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpaceX finally craters a big test vehicle

SpaceX always said they'd test, use and abuse their test hardware until they cratered something.

Well, they finally did it. F9R Dev-1, one of their powered landing test vehicles. 150 feet tall modified Falcon 9 first stage.

The specific cause was determined shortly after and disclosed to restricted aerospace forums, but it's still under embargo. Nothing that'll slow their launches or the powered landing program. In fact, they're prepping to launch a commsat at 0050 Eastern the 27th. I'll post the cause when the embargo closes..

Basically, autonomous control authority was lost which triggered the flight termination system (FTS.) This sets off a linear shaped charge that unzips the propellant tanks, stopping the engines. The propellants then ignite.

Rockets are hard©

Bystander video
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 August 2014, 05:32.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Normal F9R Dev-1 flight testing grid fin guidance.
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

From the AsiaSat 6 scrub announcement is the reason for F9R Dev-1's demise: a blocked sensor port.

"The natural question is whether this is related to the test vehicle malfunction at our development facility in Texas last week. After a thorough review, we are confident that there is no direct link. Had the same blocked sensor port problem occurred with an operational Falcon 9, it would have been outvoted by several other sensors. That voting system was not present on the test vehicle.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
      X