This was a little creepy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was a little creepy...

Backstory: The granddaughter was visiting this summer and she's a big fan of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. She likes to look for MLPFIS videos on youtube, not all of which are age-appropriate...

She uses Christine's laptop to watch videos. It is an older Toshiba, Vista with all the updates, Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes antimalware, and Chrome browser. Malware scans come up relatively clean, just a little advertising crap which was easily cleaned out. It doesn't sleep when it's plugged in, so it can run scheduled scans and updates. The wireless network is password protected, as it should be. I'm pretty tight with the password.

Friday night (after she went home to mom) Christine and I went to bed not knowing that Chrome was open with a video loaded. This video. Some weird cover of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Now, imagine waking up at 3:30 AM to hear this creepy voice coming from the kitchen singing this song. Freaked the Hell out of both of us.

I've looked at the page and cannot find any "schedule playback" option, only a "watch later" button which adds it to your playlist (you have to sign in to do this). I've pretty much ruled out any hack attacks or backdoor trojans that might have given anyone outside access to the computer. We can rule out an errant pet walking on the keyboard. I would not rule out a mouse malfunction, although I find that unlikely (I am frankly unenthusiastic about trying to replicate the event).

So the question before the Council of Elders is what on Earth could have made this video spontaneously begin playing in the middle of the night? Suggestions?

My to guess would be that Google really, really wants to pipe adverts into your house and starts it up if you don't.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Chrome sometimes gets an "hickup" reloads all open tabs and if you had a tab with any video it starts again....
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
        Chrome sometimes gets an "hickup" reloads all open tabs and if you had a tab with any video it starts again....
        Can that hickup be a scheduled update? I've seen the googleupdate process invading systems in just about any conceivable way (including through Windows scheduled tasks and by loading Google update plugins for OTHER browsers such as Internet Explorer and Opera (wtf?))

Comment

Or it could be as simple as a certain grandchild who snuck out of her room. Assuming she was there.

Though I agree that an update triggering a browser restart is the most likely reason.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
          X