Browsers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browsers

As older versions of Internet Explorer are apparently shortly going to be phased out by Microsoft, probably because of the popularity of Google Chrome, Firefox may have a little boost. Unfortunately, Firefox is trying to copy many of the Chrome features. Personally, I don't like Chrome and I don't like the way Firefox has developed.

For me, Firefox was just fine up to version 28. From version 29 onwards, a new interface was introduced, called Australis. This has caused users many problems, notably instability, speed and some features including printing. Instead of going directly to the print dialogue box, it now goes through an intermediate page which restricts how an Internet page is printed; in particular it is not possible to print just a selection. There are ways to get round this problem, but they are not necessarily easy and they may upset other features. There have been thousands of complaints made about Australis and the popularity of Firefox has taken a plunge since it was introduced.

I persevered with Firefox up to version 31 but then I decided to seek a better browser. For me, Chrome was out of the question, despite its popularity. By chance, I happened to hit on an unknown browser called Pale Moon. This was actually based on the Firefox engine and it looks like how Firefox looked a few months ago, without any of the new bells and whistles of Australis. However, it is not an old version of Firefox, even though it looks like it. It is a thoroughly up-to-date browser in its own right and it is more stable, reliable and faster than Firefox.

I have been testing Pale Moon for several days and have been very happy with it, to the point that I can recommend it if, like me, you do not like the new Firefox user interface. You can try it out in parallel with Firefox to see for yourself. There is a small application which allows you to copy all your personal bookmarks, add-on's and other settings from Firefox To Pale Moon. This worked well for me. To have a look at what it does, there is a website at http://www.palemoon.org/ Try it!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Yes, pale moon or chromium or opera are good browsers now.

Comment

Slightly OT, but the amount of larger companies still using old browsers continues to cause me issues.

One very large (1600+ branches) UK company were very interested in using our recruitment platform in those branches. Someone should have asked the question earlier, because the reply was 'all our branches use IE6 or IE5.5.'

It was annoying to lose the contract after the amount of time input to it, but thank God we walked away and refused to support it.

T.
      FT.

Comment

Two years ago, the online system to file taxes in Belgium had issues with "newer" browsers. Rather than solving it, they provided instructions on how to roll back to an old browser. This year, it again did not work in FireFox (may be due to the certificate system with a cardreader), but I had no issues in the latest IE.

I'm still using firefox, despite getting more annoyed by it, and really frustrated with the interface. Who in their right mind got rid of menu or things on the top left, and moved the to top right? Perhaps I should give Pale Moon a try... I knew it earlier, but thought it was a firefox compiled with different compiler optimizations and some other performance improvements.
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
          Two years ago, the online system to file taxes in Belgium had issues with "newer" browsers. Rather than solving it, they provided instructions on how to roll back to an old browser. This year, it again did not work in FireFox (may be due to the certificate system with a cardreader), but I had no issues in the latest IE.

I'm still using firefox, despite getting more annoyed by it, and really frustrated with the interface. Who in their right mind got rid of menu or things on the top left, and moved the to top right? Perhaps I should give Pale Moon a try... I knew it earlier, but thought it was a firefox compiled with different compiler optimizations and some other performance improvements.
          There is a free extension for firefox, that reverts look.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
            It is just cosmetic but does not revert the functions. Pale Moon reverts everything to look like and functions like Firefox did a few months ago. I know a number who have adopted it and they are all over the moon (pale?) with it.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU View Post
              It is not just the look... somehow, the whole experience worsened...

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
              It is just cosmetic but does not revert the functions. Pale Moon reverts everything to look like and functions like Firefox did a few months ago. I know a number who have adopted it and they are all over the moon (pale?) with it.
              I'll give it go...
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
              X