Windows 95 vs. Windows 98

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 95 vs. Windows 98

I am thinking of downgrading from windows 98 to win 95... the reliability is better and its faster...

what i want to know is is 95 really faster than win 98 or is it just me???
    <font size="1">Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X MoBo
    VIA Apollo Pro 133a (694x/686A) chipset (4x agp, UDMA 66)
    Celeron II 733 CPU (coppermine 128)
    128meg (2x64) 133mhz SDRam
    Matrox Milleniumm G200 AGP 16 mb
    Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital model 0100 (MP3+, Gamer)
    Quantum LM 30 gig HD 7200 RPM UDMA 66
    Realtek 8029A NIC Card
    Optiquest V775 17" Monitor
    Actima 36X CD-Rom
    Advansys 510 SCSI Card (ISA, but good enuf for my burner)
    Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
    Windows 2000 (primary)
    Slackware Linux 9.0(secondary/emergency)</font>

Oh, boy, not another w95 vs w98 thread. I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

If you keep the bloat out, w95 does OK. Although the info is a bit dated, you might want to read my how to install w95 for a gaming rig webpage at http://www2.netdoor.com/~fubar/gaminWin95.html

However, w95 does not do somethings that w98 does: P3 SSE instructions are not supported (is AMD's 3DNow!? I forget), most USB devices do not work, AMD Athlon 751 northbridge AGP driver doesn't work, GeForce 256 cards don't work.

The Matrox G400 does work very well with w95, but it does not support dual head monitors fully. You can do DVDMax and Dual Head Clone, but w95 can't do 2 desktops. I know that you couldn't use TurboGL in w95 when it was dependant upon SSE or Athlon 3DNow! instructions, but I am unsure whether the latest release of TGL works with w95 or not.

IMHO, the reliability is about the same with both. However, a maverick program can easily topple either w9x OS.

W95 is pretty doggone fast if you keep the bloat out and you do not have a network card. However, it takes a lot more patience in installing the puppy than w98.

Comment

On a well-configured system (especially one based on newer hardware), 98 should be faster. What is your hardware like?

I really don't understand the people that want to use W95.

You could try W98lite.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

well the main reason is because i hear its faster...

amd k6 233 (ocd to 300)
        64meg ram
        sb awe32 sound
        g200 video
        p5a-b motherboard
        6.4gig HD
        Realtek 8029A NIC Card
        Actima 36X CD-Rom
        Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
        Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

Why not try 98 without ActiveDesktop, Systray gimmicks disabled, animations for the menues and so on stripped down to none? At least it supports a lot more hardware like USB mentioned before and moreover AGP implementation is done better than in 95 where it is only done when USB support is installed. You also don't have to patch 98 when you upgrade your processor to one of the models beyond 300 MHz. Network integration is better than in 95.
          I don't think it will be much a difference between 95 and 98 when you use 98 without the gimmicks implemented. The only thing you can't change is the fact that IE is totally integrated. Although there are some methods to get rid of it, this reduces some of the possibilities of the OS. Needs more RAM though but I think it is worth it.

Regards, Alegria

------------------
          The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
          Bob Dylan

The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
          Bob Dylan

Comment

Alegria is correct. The perceived speed difference between W95 and W98 is due mostly to the graphical overhead of W98. If you turn off all the bells 'n' whistles, W98 is faster, albeit with a slightly higher memory footprint.

BUT, the downside of W95 is, as has been stated, that lots of things JUST DON'T WORK. No new processors work. AGP is poorly implemented. USB support is laughable. Etc., etc., etc.

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

well i have a program called tweak UI 98... from that program i can almost emulate windows 95 100%... i can turn off features such as active desktop(completely so it cannot be enabled by right-clicking on the desktop) and the quick launch toolbar..

but i didnt see any difference... oh well... i dunno what to do... maybe i just need more ram..
              Realtek 8029A NIC Card
              Actima 36X CD-Rom
              Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
              Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

You could always try using both, if you feel confident enough to fiddle around with your system. You can install a really clean, stripped-down Win95 seperate from Win98, taking up about 30-40Mb disk space, and use it for games that need every scrap of ram you can muster, or as an alternative set-up to try when stuff doesn't run. If you want more info, post back here and I'll piece together a 'how-to'.

You may have a point about Win95 being faster than Win98 for real use rather than statistically. As a metaphor, its like loading a bloated 10Mb program at 2Mb per second rather than a streamlined 2Mb program at 1Mb per second.

[This message has been edited by Rik (edited 29 March 2000).]

Comment

My $02, there is no real difference between the two, the speed is the same, for both networking and games, the amount of memory used can be the same. Patches, well if you install IE5, you are going to have to install a dozen or so security patches either way, general OS patches are more numerous for Win98, mb type drivers apply to both equally. I've benchmarked both, there is no speed difference at all for anything in paticular you might want to do.

I'm using win98 right now, simply because Creative don't offer drivers for the webcam go for win95. There is more to do in installing W98 simply for the fact that you have to disable half of it. MS has stated they are dropping support for Win9x in 2001, so the point is rather moot which one is going to be around the longest.

Notes to self:

Win98:

1. After install, extract vcomm.vxd, vdmad.vxd, configmg.vxd, vdd.vxd, vmouse.vxd, ntkern.vxd, vflatd.vxd. from cab files 47 and 48 and copy them to c:\win98\system. This avoids the vxd error on shutdown mess for certain, some setup install options might work for you and you don't have to do this.
                  2. Delete all htt files from your drive. My God, Javascript running every time you open a folder?! Hello?
                  3. Disable scheduler.
                  4. edit the registry and remove everything from HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\nextotbeobsoleteve rsion\run\
                  5. Monkey with folders settings, select don't save individual folder settings, turn off a bunch of other flags, etc.
                  6. Install any and all motherboard drivers.
                  7. Install DirectX7.
                  8. Install G400 drivers.
                  9. Install sound card drivers.
                  10. Install misc card/devices drivers.
                  10a. Go back to step 4 and check the registry for crap.
                  11. Go to http://www.annoyances.org/win98/ and learn it.
                  12. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d.../corporate.asp and download everything applicable and install it.

Done.

Win95:

1. Install usbsupp.exe
                  2. Install AMDupd.exe if applicable.
                  3. Install motherboard drivers.
                  4. Install DirectX 7.
                  5. Install G400/sound/misc drivers.

Done.

Comment

Do something easier:

Go to http://www.98lite.net/ and download the standard version of 98lite and test it!

Much of the bloat in w98 doesent even get ont disk if w98 is installed under 98Lite!

Latest version of the registred app makes most of W98's bloat into Install/uninstall checkboxes in "Add/remove software"

It's well worth its 25$!!

------------------
                    INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
                    G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
                    SBlive
                    192 MB RAM CAS2
                    43GB HDD Space!(Actual 40GB) (13+30 Quantum drives)
                    Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
                    SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I found win98lite to be rather troublesome and buggy, haven't tried the very latest version of it though.

Comment

Allow me to back up Technoid and others above who've suggested 98Lite. Yes, I know, a really good registry hacker and expert tweaker can DO all of this, but who needs the hassle...and it's donation ware for pete's sake. Also very mature now as Shane Brooks has kept up support.

The BEST feature of 98Lite though is the clean install option, which guarantees that not a single unnecessary .dll or library EVER touches your Hard drive. My HDD has never known the infamy of IE of any kind, and I love that feature alone. I can testify to the tremendous stability increase that you get when you're running limited memory, slower, older processors, etc. MUCH BETTER than W95 with IE.

I've got the full reversion to what they call 98 micro...running the W95 explorer and desktop, but, as GURM mentioned above, W98's vastly improved kernel and driverset. It's the best of both worlds, and point and click easy. Wish you had something back? I've got the Pro version of the proggy that gives em all back to you under w98 "add remove programs"

Neat! And Yeah, I'm a fan.
                        Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                        CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
                        Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

Hey Himself We were posting on top of each other. I wish you would try 98lite PRO in its latest version (a month ago). Most of the bugs you noticed probably applied to installs of Lite over old bloated installations. A clean install of 98 with this app on a fresh format, and taking the option to keep the 95 explorer, wordpad, etc, has exactly the same feel as W95 but you do get the improved kernel.--and none of the unecessary registry bloat either. When Lite removes it, it's GONE!
                          Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
                          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
                          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

this program seems really neet... i think i will check it out... is it buggy in any way.... is it more reliable than normal win 98
                            Realtek 8029A NIC Card
                            Actima 36X CD-Rom
                            Yamaha 6416 CD-RW
                            Windows 2000 (primary)

Comment

Bixler,

I'll give it another shot one of these days now that I'm forced to run win98. I actually have a desktop replacement I wrote that I can use instead of explorer anway. Still in extreme beta stage though, it's not fast enough and skinning hasn't been designed. Just installed Win2K pro, now what I need is a win2klite to beat the beast down from 800MB. 450MB is just in c:/winnt/system, 200MB for the pagefile.swp, there is no need.

Comment

Working...
                              X