Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SpX Falcon 9: ORBCOMM launch (success - launch video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpX Falcon 9: ORBCOMM launch (success - launch video)

On Saturday May 10th a SpaceX Falcon 9 is scheduled to launch 6 ORBCOMM OG2 communications satellites.

Streaming coverage will be at http://www.spacex.com , starting about 30-40 minutes before the launch window opens. This is mirrored on SpaceX's Livestream channel at https://new.livestream.com/spacex

After staging the first stage will attempt a landing at sea as part of SpaceX's continuing reusability R&D. The first stage will flip 180°, perform a retro-fire burn to decelerate and boost back towards KSC, cut its engines, flip 180° again to put itself in an engines first trajectory and to do a terminal velocity free-fall to about 1,000-1500 meters. At that point the center engine will re-ignite, the landing legs will deploy and the stage will settle to the sea surface.

After a few such tests to prove SpaceX's full command authority over incoming stages KSC, the USAF and the FAA will issue permits and assign a location for a land touchdown.

This F9R Dev-1 (F9R = Falcon 9 Reusable) test vehicle low altitude flight gives an idea what a landing will look like. F9R Dev-1 is over 150 feet tall and is a full Falcon 9 first stage. It does tests up to 10,000 feet. The Dev-2 vehicle will do tests to 300,000 feet in New Mexico.

This launch has moved LEFT on the launch schedule*

There will have been only 22 days between Dragon CRS-3 and ORBCOMM, so they must be trying to make up the time lost by the wicked weather, NASA requested Dragon power upgrades and the KSC radar failure.

45th Space Wing reports -

Launch Vehicle/Mission: Falcon 9 ORBCOMM
    Date: May 10, 2014
    Launch Window: 9:39-10:33 a.m.*
    Pad: LC-40
    Launch Hazard Area
    Airspace Closure Areas

For weather updates visit the 45th Weather Squadron page.*
    For those who will be in the KSC area on May 10th,

Launch Alert

SpaceX Falcon 9 • May 10, 9:39 am EDT

Experience the memorable sights and sounds of the powerful roaring engines of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket as it thrusts into the sky from SLC-40. Learn more about the rocket and the mission carrying a communicaitons satellite.

Closest Public Viewing Area: Apollo/Saturn V Center

Located along the Banana River and only three miles from the launch pad, the Apollo/Saturn V viewing area offers the closest public viewing opportunity in Brevard County. This viewing area features live launch countdown commentary.

Purchase your viewing ticket for $20 plus tax while they are still available.

Viewing tickets are limited. Cost is in addition to general admission.

Annual P****olders only pay for the $20 viewing ticket.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/t...hAlert-Falcon9
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Updated launch window (L=Local)

SLC-40 Falcon 9 / ORBCOMM

Static Fire Re-Scheduled: May 8, 2014, T-0 1600Z (1200L)
    Window 1600Z-2000Z (1200L-1600L)

Launch scheduled: May 10, 2014
    Launch window Updated T-0: 0947L-1040L (Range Approved)
    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

F9 is vertical, prepping for a wet dress rehersal (propellant loading & practice countdown) and a static fire (3 sec engine start with F9 clamped to the pad) tests. The gathered data will determine launch readiness for Saturday.

The target launch orbit is 615 x 750 km, then an upper stage restart will circularize it to 715x715 km. The target orbital inclination is 47°.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Static fire moved to tomorrow (Friday May 9) because of an umbilical issue and the ranges 5/40's going home by the time it was resolved.

Nothing about a launch slip to Sunday, so right now we're looking at a static fire, launch readiness review and a launch within about 24 hours. Sporty.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Launch was delayed by a helium leak.

Webcasts:

Livestream.com Follow SpaceX’s profile on Livestream for updates on live events.

Launch Alert

SpaceX Falcon 9 June 12, 9:07 pm EDT

Experience the memorable sights and sounds of the powerful roaring engines of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket as it thrusts into the sky from SLC-40.

Located along the Banana River and only five miles from the launch pad, the Apollo/Saturn V viewing area offers guests both bleacher and lawn seating at the closest public viewing areas. The viewing areas feature live launch countdown commentary beginning at 8 pm by Bob Crippen, veteran NASA astronaut.

Purchase your viewing ticket for $20 plus tax while they are still available. Viewing tickets are limited. Cost is in addition to general admission.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/tickets.aspx?utm_source=Launch Alert&utm_medium=Email-full&utm_campaign=KSC20140605_Launch_Alert
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Launch was delayed by a helium leak.

Webcasts:

Livestream.com Follow SpaceX’s profile on Livestream for updates on live events.

Launch Alert

SpaceX Falcon 9 June 12, 9:07 pm EDT

Experience the memorable sights and sounds of the powerful roaring engines of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket as it thrusts into the sky from SLC-40.

Located along the Banana River and only five miles from the launch pad, the Apollo/Saturn V viewing area offers guests both bleacher and lawn seating at the closest public viewing areas. The viewing areas feature live launch countdown commentary beginning at 8 pm by Bob Crippen, veteran NASA astronaut.

Purchase your viewing ticket for $20 plus tax while they are still available. Viewing tickets are limited. Cost is in addition to general admission.

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/tickets.aspx?utm_source=Launch Alert&utm_medium=Email-full&utm_campaign=KSC20140605_Launch_Alert
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

After the leak was fixed the launch was delayed TWICE because of problems with the ORBCOMM satellites.

Launch is today, June 20, weather permitting. Backup date June 21.

Also at LiveStream. Both webcasts start at 5:30 PM Eastern

https://new.livestream.com/spacex

SpaceX ‏@SpaceX
              Falcon 9 targeted to launch 6 ORBCOMM satellites tomorrow @ 6:08pm ET. LIVE launch webcast @

http://www.spacex.com/webcast
              F9 / ORBCOMM-1 is vertical on the pad.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Steep trajectory because it's a direct injection launch. All 6 satellites deployed.

Onward to AsiaSat 8.

Hopefully we'll get video from the stage landing. Last time around it was the tip-over in rough seas that disambiguated the stage.

@elonmusk:
                "Rocket booster reentry, landing burn & leg deploy were good, but lost hull integrity right after splashdown (aka kaboom)"

@elonmusk:
                "Detailed review of rocket telemetry needed to tell if due to initial splashdown or subsequent tip over and body slam"

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                X