Kennedy Space Center DOWN, critical asset disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennedy Space Center DOWN, critical asset disabled

Basically, they need 3 tracking assets and only have 2 because of a fire in a key tracking radar. The power supply shorted.

NO easy fix as this is a late 1980's to early 1990's system with few replacements.

There is no quick fix at this point. Navy and Coast Guard ships are unable to reproduce the radars function.

SpaceX is exploring some options for its coming CRS-3 flight to the ISS but that's still in the black. The USAF is also scrambling because of upcoming Atlas V NRO launches.

BTW: there was a recent presentation at the AIAA about the crumbling infrastructure, with a large number of key assets old enough that they're no longer in production.

One long term fix is movimg to GPS tracking instead of these old radars, but that move is early on. Another conference takes place soon,

As for SpaceX; the Univetsity of Texas at Brownsville is building a modern tracking and radio observatory near where SpaceX wants to build their commercial spaceport.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 March 2014, 15:16.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I guess we could vote to raise our taxes a tiny fraction to keep the crown jewel of US science and tech functioning.

PS Ha Ha, just kidding.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

No need for raising taxes, just have the Amateur in Chief take 1-2 fewer golfing vacations.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        No need for raising taxes, just have the Amateur in Chief take 1-2 fewer golfing vacations.
        Rimshot!
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
        X