Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvd rip: best free tools?

Hello!

Some years ago, I ripped my dvds to iso files. I think I used DVDFabHDDecrypter. Now, I want to rip a few more. Which software is currently recommended for doing that? Or is DVDFabHDDecrypter still one of the better ones?

Thanks!
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I still use DVDShrink occasionally.

Here is an article about alternatives: http://lifehacker.com/380702/five-be...-ripping-tools
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Been using MakeMKV lately. Does DVD and Blu-ray. It hasn't had any troubles ripping anything so far. And I believe it is free (it was free, then it was fee, and now it is free again).

MakeMKV - software to convert blu-ray and dvd to mkv

The obvious problem with this is one of the MKV file. If your streaming setup doesn't support MKV, or you can't live transcode it, then you have to reconvert it or use something else.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It happened I downloaded a CD that I have in drawer because it was easier and faster than getting up, finding it and ripping it.

So just download.

Comment

As Utwig said, forget about re-encoding to another format (just download the rip from the pirate bay instead; much easier and faster).

If you're interested in the DVD, including menu and any special features/subs/audio languages, use the following combination:
          AnyDVD + ImgBurn
          Rip the disk to .ISO
          2+ TB 3.5" SATA HDDs are dirt cheap nowadays, they can hold a huge collection of ISOs ripped from physical disks.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll try dvdshrink.

I prefer iso, as they have all the dvd information.
            I know it limits some uses (even streaming), and I may convert it later to another format and omit the additional information. But at least, everything is in the iso. And it matches my current collection.
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I don't think DVD Shrink is being updated anymore? Development for the project ended in 2004 and I seem to recall some of the newer DRM schemes can't be cracked by it.

You could try Handbrake + DVD43. That's a very popular tool these days. Not as easy to use as DVD Shrink, and it doesn't do BD as I recall, but it should handle modern DVD DRM better.

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Or DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink if Shrink can't decrypt it. Though it usually can.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                X