Domain name pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain name pieces

Yeah, I was trying to find a way to grab your attention...

I'm a server administrator-in-training, and unfortunately, the guy who answers my questions isn't often around for me to ask. So I pose these questions to you.

1. That first part of a domain name... the "www" in "www.murc.ws" and the "search" in "search.yahoo.com"-- what is that called?

2. Supposing I already have a "www.somethinorother.com", how do I go about creating a "wahoo.somethinorother.com" using IIS 4.0? Does this require more DNS registration, or can I do it using the domain name I already have?

3. No, there isn't really a www.somethinorother.com. Don't bother clicking.

1. It depends on what it's being used for, it could be used to point to a web server as in your example or a sub-domain ie. london.myco.com.

2. That would need an entry in the DNS which you can create depending whether you are running local DNS servers or are using your ISP's. If you are using your ISP's they would have to create the entry for you.

If you look at the DNS records for an existing domain it should help you understand what each part does and how to use them

------------------
    You can't always get what you want, but if you try some times you just might find you get what you need.

{The Rolling Stones}
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Thanks, I'll have to e-mail my cohort on that... Though I have free reign on the server, he's keeping the DNS to himself...

Comment

That requires DNS registration at your site. I don't have a clue how to go about it with windows, but I might could help you out with Solaris. I'm a bit rusty though. I used to be the backup sysadmin, but then we brought in a new guy as sysadmin, and the old sysadmin is now the backup/consultant guy.

Comment

Working...
        X