F1 2014: wtf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 2014: wtf?

An overview of the cars different F1 teams presented for 2014.

For those unaware, FIA initiated some design constraints regarding improving safety, which stipulates a low nose (with very specific constraints). At the same time, teams want to get air under the front of the car, so the tendency in previous years was to raise the nose.

This is what the designers came up with....

On one hand, I like the big variety to solve the problem, but they are not really and example of elegant design...
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I don't think they want to get any air under the car, just under or over any wings there might be.
    I think they mainly want to avoid cars using the front as a ramp up and over other cars or barriers.

I do like the new engines, pushed to the limit, and then some.
    The effing huge Turbo is nice, too.

The teams will find ways to differentiate themselves, finding 'tricks' and 'loopholes' to get that slight edge.

I do prefer watching Rally Driving though.
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
      I don't think they want to get any air under the car, just under or over any wings there might be.
      Well... Most articles I see mention under the car (e.g. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/2...season-trends/ ):
      The intent of this is to reduce the amount of air blockage at the front to try to get as much flow as possible under the car.
      I suspect it is to create a faster flow of air...
      pixar

Comment

Well, if you have too much air going under the car, you're designing an airplane

The extractors they have at the rear, suck air from under the chassis, to help the back end stay down.
        At the front, they want as much air as possible to go over the front wings, to add downforce.
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666 View Post
          Well, if you have too much air going under the car, you're designing an airplane

The extractors they have at the rear, suck air from under the chassis, to help the back end stay down.
          At the front, they want as much air as possible to go over the front wings, to add downforce.
          It's much more complicated than that. There are several objects to this exercise but the most important is to ensure minimal turbulence at any speed under the car but at the maximum throughput of air. This creates a downthrust from the front to the rear of the chassis. This is why they try to make the underside of the car as close to the ground as possible; not to lower the airflow, but to increase the downthrust and to reduce the energy to drive the car at given conditions. It is true that the diffuser will increase the throughput and, at the same time, create more downthrust at the rear end. It is also true that the upper airfoil sections at the front end will increase the downthrust on the front wheels. The aerodynamics of fast cars is a very complex subject, especially when cornering as this inevitably increases turbulence which can continue for seconds after the manoeuvre is complete, reducing the acceleration on the straight. Fluid dynamics is a very difficult branch of physics and, often, it is easier to optimise the results empirically.
          Last edited by Brian Ellis; 28 January 2014, 09:38.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I know its really complex, waaaaaaaaaaay too hard to explain for me.

You also don't want too much downthrust, or you're going to have to up the power output to compensate.
            Ideally, they want it on the razors edge of just enough to keep it on the ground without taking off.

Thats why the rear wing moved in the last few seasons, so they could lift off the downforce for a bit, and get a higher top speed.

Still, Turbo's can blow up, the intercoolers can be damaged or blocked with gravel and contact with other drivers.
            Also, they probably all have a sneaky ace up their sleeve, rear diffuser or whatever.
            Its going to be fun

edit : There could also be a good deal of flames from the turbo, I don't see anything restricting the exhaust from the turbo itself.

Comment

Interest read on McLaren's rear suspension:
              McLaren have come up with the first real innovation of the year by creating rear suspension wishbones that are very different to what we usually se...

It looks counter intuitive to block the airflow that much over the suspension arms, but the article nicely explains it (although I still wonder why it does not block more than it does... but maybe they just sacrifice straight line speed for grip in turns. If it turns out to be the game changing innovation (like Brawn had with the double diffuser and RedBull with the blown diffuser), then they may well be back in the race for the championship.

Add to that Renault's problems on the first three days of testing, and it might turn out to be an interesting season...
              pixar

Comment

This lot of changes is much bigger than the last ones, which just made the V8 smaller, and rev lower, etc...

I think this season will be a good one to watch.

Comment

Working...
                X