3dfx moving to retake #1...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dfx moving to retake #1...?

Here's a snip from Sharky Extreme that was probably ripped from a 3dfx press release:

3dfx Acquires GigaPixel

3D chip manufacturer 3dfx announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately-held GigaPixel Corporation of Santa Clara, CA for approximately $186 million, to be paid in approximately 15.6 million 3dfx common shares and options. GigaPixel specializes in the design, development and licensing of 3D core technology. Designed to dramatically reduce the memory bandwidth and high gate count designs traditionally required for 3D acceleration, the GigaPixel technology for the first time enables high quality 3D display capabilities in low power, cost sensitive environments. ``We view the GigaPixel technology as a disruptive capability in the 3D market,'' said Scott Sellers, founder and chief technology officer of 3dfx Interactive. ``By reducing memory bandwidth requirements by up to a factor of 10, we can now perform true 32-bit full-scene anti-aliased rendering at previously unseen performance levels.
    This technology is not theoretical -- it is real and exists in GigaPixel prototype silicon right now. Furthermore, we can now render in 3D at substantially reduced power requirements and cost points, thereby enabling a new class of 3D capable devices in the consumer electronics market.'' The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter of 3dfx's fiscal year 2001.
    Looks like 3dfx is taking the Creative Labs path to success. If somebody has a technology you want, don't license, buy them! It worked for Creative.

This should make things rather interesting in the video card market. You have 3dfx with a new radical technology (for the first time since the Voodoo 1), Matrox with the pretty colors, nVidia with all the money and the current speed king, Ati coming out with some uber card and S3 is still alive. Looks like competition is still healthy.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

and don't forget, Rendition who is owned by Micron is planning to release video cards in Q3 of this year
    jim
    PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
    128mb pc-100 cas 2
    Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
    Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
    SB Live!
    Winblows 98se & DX7
    and 384k DSL!

Comment

I see it in one of two ways, 1. No hope of a GigaPixel card from anyone any time soon. 2. Maybe it will finally get into video cards with a real company behind it.

If there was a chance of a GigaPixel card coming out this half, then it's negative, otherwise it's positive.

Comment

I think 3dfx just wants the memory technology so they can cut down on the number of transistors they need to use. That way they can get rid of the external power supply for the Voodoo6/Rampage boards, or whatever comes after them.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Check out my topic entitled "state of 3d?". I know, I stole the title. But it's just a forum posting. Heh.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
          X