Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing a ATX power supply--help

Hi all,
    How do you test an ATX power supply? I just don't understand how to do it??
    It was EZ with an AT, turn the switch on, check voltages. But with the ATX I don't know how you fire it up. I would like to be able to test it w/o having it plugged into the motherboard, if it is possible. That way I can find out if it a supply problem or a motherboard problem. I would think there should be a way to jumper it to get the supply to fire up? At any rate, I would still like to find out how to test them.

Just getting to old to understand all this new technology, And WTH the only dump question is the one never asked!!

Thank for your help!!

Oboy
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

To turn on an ATX power supply, without plugging it in the motherboard, you need to do the following:

1) Look on the pin configuration for your ATX plug on the supply. Look for a PC Pow or the like. The wire is number 14 and is normally green.

2) Connect a hard drive to the power supply to create a load so it will run properly.

3) Take a bent paper clip, twisty tie, or thin bendable metal object. Plug one end into a common/ground plug on the ATX connector which are black. Plug the other end into the PC Pow (wire 14) plug.

This should turn your power supply on without plugging into your motherboard.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650, Biostar board, 128 MB PC133 (Crucial), G400 32 MB DH, SB Live! w/ Digital I/O, 10/100 NIC, lots of case fans, etc...
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Just stick yer tongue on it you'll know quickly enough if it works or not.
      PIII 600E at 800Mhz, Waiting for G800, til then Voodoo3 3000, Asus P3B-F at 133FSB (ain't none better!), 256MB PC133 Memory, 2 Seagate 18GB Cheeeeetazzzz.

Comment

Jammrock,
        Thanks for the info

YoKoMo [1],
        I gave that up a long time ago!
        Time to make the wafers!
        Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

Comment

LOL... Hey YoKoMo that's why we nicknamed Oboy "Wild Bill" at work...LOL

He actually set me on fire once...Damn Isopropyl squirt bottles anyway.

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 28 March 2000).]
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

O.K. Paul, Just be grateful that you weren't Greg!
            So did you think Isopropyl was just for cleaning things! No way! LOL

Oboy
            It does give off a nice flame!
            Time to make the wafers!
            Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

Comment

Working...
            X