• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me want!!!!

A large flying model SR-71 Blackbird with real jet engines

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Impressive! However, I missed the after-burners on take-off . The thing that intrigues me is that a rear delta-wing craft is inherently unstable without stabilisation. This is achieved with about six accelerometers that detect any undesired motion and acts on the control surfaces to apply correction, through a computer, taking into account altitude, airspeed, windspeed and relative direction etc.This would require some very sophisticated programming. Wonder whether he has a few Raspberry Pis in there?
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

There are RC flight stabilization systems available for <$200, and even models of a Sukhoi 35 with thrust vectoring
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

That is awesome!
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Too bad he didn't lay down a sonic boom.

Interesting question for math nerds: assuming a 1/10 scale model, how many times the length of the aircraft per second would it have to travel in order for it to actually break the sound barrier and how many miles/km per hour does that scale up to?

(Math Check: a real SR-71 (107.72' long) covers 10.42x its length per second @ mach 1. Given a 10.8' model, it would have to travel @ 104.26x its length per second to reach a speed of 1126 f/s. 104.26x107.72=11230.88 f/s or mach 9.97. Discuss.)

Comment

Impressive..
            paulw

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ View Post
              Discuss.
              OTOH he would only have to go 77mph (124kph) to hit the mach 1 equivalent lengths/second.

I wonder where they get their JP7?
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
              X