Tesla follow the lead of Sony and Boeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla follow the lead of Sony and Boeing

It didn't make the news here but it seems that a fire in a crashed Tesla S vehicle destroyed it, happily with no fatal outcome. It would seem probable that the crash cause an internal or external short-circuit of the battery housed in the front.

Note that petrol/gasoline and diesel fuel are also hazardous but cars are exempted from hazard placards for liquid fuels on the assumption that firefighters know of the danger which is not the case with electric cars containing hundreds of kg of Li.

To transport in Europe anything containing >1 kg Li metal, the outside container should be labelled:
    European Labeling in Accordance with EC Directives
    Hazard Symbols: F C
    Risk Phrases:
    R 14/15 Reacts violently with water liberating extremely flammable gases.
    R 34 Causes burns.
    Safety Phrases:
    S 8 Keep container dry.
    S 43H In case of fire, use dry chemical, soda ash, lime or sand. (Do not use water or foam).
    S 45 In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show the label where
    possible).
    The vehicle transporting the lithium (including lithium batteries) should have the following placards:
    2013-11-02_142846.png2013-11-02_142913.png2013-11-02_142422.png

Does this apply to cars using (not transporting?) batteries?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Ellis; 2 November 2013, 05:43.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

It did make the news. There are DOT regs for emergency responders, tow truck opetators etc. As regards LiIon and other EV batteries fire departments are trained in handling those fires.

Further, Tesla has a patent they're working to bring to market for a hybrid battery power system that would use a smaller LiIon and a large metal-air battery.

Global Equities analyst Trip Chowdhry reiterated an Overweight rating on Tesla Motors (Nasdaq: TSLA) and boosted his price target from $150 to $225 citing hybrid battery packs being developed by the...
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 November 2013, 18:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I saw it on the news down here when it happened.

"A Tesla spokesman said the car caught fire after the driver ran over a "large metallic object" causing extensive damage to the front end of the car, but the incident saw Tesla shares fell 6.2 per cent to on the Nasdaq, their biggest one-day decline since mid-July."

The lemmings are pretty quick to sell their stock when it appears on the national news..
      paulw

Comment

Originally posted by paulw View Post
        I saw it on the news down here when it happened.

"A Tesla spokesman said the car caught fire after the driver ran over a "large metallic object" causing extensive damage to the front end of the car, but the incident saw Tesla shares fell 6.2 per cent to on the Nasdaq, their biggest one-day decline since mid-July."

The lemmings are pretty quick to sell their stock when it appears on the national news..
        there's been a second one to catch fire since that event. Further more, it's not that surprising that investors... I mean speculators are eager to jump ship, as lots of stocks seem to be in a bigger bubble than the nasdaq during the dot com days at the and of the last millennium. Might not take much for their valuations to fall back to earth (maybe the FED stopping liquidity injections?)

Comment

Working...
        X