Networking: Access Points question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking: Access Points question

So I bought this new Wifi-router (Asus 66 bgn-ca something) cause it had such great range. May be, but not enough for my bedroom nor my kids XBOX when in his bedroom and mobile phones, well I guess they have a lousy antenna compared. Anyway, at the time I chose the wrong place to put the router in any case, can;t be helped.

Luckily, I have quite a bit of wires of which one runs to my sons bedroom and so I thought I would use that location and my old SiteCom router as a wired access point (and wired switch).

This works absolutely great. Just one small issue. I would expect wireless devices to change from one AP to another AP if the signal gets a lot better with the other. I don't see that actually happening unless I disconnect/reconnect. Is it normal for wireless devices to stay connected to a single AP until it fails/disconnects?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Theoretically this should be possible with Extended Service Set (ESS).

I've never implemented this, but supposedly it works by having them both with the same SSID and on the same channel and with same security setup.

I have no idea how well it's supported by different devices in practice (on both access point and station level), and have no idea if you need special hardware and/or software for this or not.

Comment

Thanks. I have same SSID and security setup (I think, with one I have Authentication Method as WPA2-Personal and WPA Encryption as AES. The other I have Encryption: WPA pre-shared key and WPA Type: WPA2(AES)) but different channels. Your link seems to indicate this should be fine and so did the how-to I used (http://www.tested.com/tech/298-how-t...wi-fi-network/). Also, I have tested, with dis/reconnecting, that the mobile devices do not see the two AP's as seperate networks. That is: they'll connect to the best signal at that location and use the same stored password, if that means anything.

Maybe I need to test a bit more.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post
        Thanks. I have same SSID and security setup (I think, with one I have Authentication Method as WPA2-Personal and WPA Encryption as AES. The other I have Encryption: WPA pre-shared key and WPA Type: WPA2(AES)) but different channels. Your link seems to indicate this should be fine and so did the how-to I used (http://www.tested.com/tech/298-how-t...wi-fi-network/). Also, I have tested, with dis/reconnecting, that the mobile devices do not see the two AP's as seperate networks. That is: they'll connect to the best signal at that location and use the same stored password, if that means anything.

Maybe I need to test a bit more.
        you need same ssid, same encryption, authentication and key. Since n requires WPA2, you should have both at that. If the other access point is too weak and you have no funds, you can buy used WRT54GL for like 25-30 EUR or some new n access point.

I did a few setups like that. The devices switch when they loose signal though.

Comment

But both have WPA2, I think I'm fine. What I was looking for was confirmation that
          Originally posted by UtwigMU
          The devices switch when they loose signal though.
          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X