weird outlook problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird outlook problem

I'm dropping this here because frankly I'm stumped. Anyone with any insights please speak up.

My client has a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 and MS Office 2007 Enterprise Edition. The os is up to date and, as far as I can tell, malware free. Everything in the system is behaving itself. Windows Explorer works normally and allows me to browse to any file I please. I can access thumbdrives and even my local network drives. Internet is A-Okay, and MSE shows everything green.

The problem is Outlook. A week or so the "attach files" option stopped working. Specifically when you compose a new message and click "attach file" the "insert File" window opens and shows all of the libraries and drives (except thumbdrives!) in the left pane, but NO drive or folder contents in the right pane except for the alphabetically first folder in the "My Documents" "My Pictures" and "My Videos" libraries. The "My Music" library shows ALL files Normally. Browsing to the c: drive shows EMPTY folders. "All Files" is selected, but changing that to any specific file type has no effect.

If I browse to a file in windows explorer, I can right-click on a desired file and select "send to-->mail recipient" and the compose mail window pops open with the file attached, and from there it can be sent normally, so there is that workaround.

I have tried repairing the data files (errors found and corrected), repairing the Office installation (errors found and corrected), and uninstalling and reinstalling Office. I have tried running Outlook in safe mode. I have tried outlook with the system booted into safe mode with networking (WORKS!). I have tried booting the system with all startup items disabled (no luck). I've cleared the IE browser cache and all the temp files. I have Googled the issue every way I can think of and tried what meager advice I could find. I've inserted registry keys and disabled add-ons. I've checked the error logs (a few Outllok application hangs that I knew about and a handful of other errors). I've booted off the win 7 repair disk and run sfc (no errors).

The only time it woks is when the system is booted into safe mode with networking. So, what corrupted program or startup process is causing this???

This is an entirely new one on me!

Screw it. I just backed up the user files and blew away the old user profile and created a new one. Problem solved.

/should have done that in the first place.

Comment

Working...
    X