Godzilla (2014) (trailer! 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godzilla (2014) (trailer! 2)

A full budget Warner Brothers blockbuster Kaiju film, supposedly made right. Matthew Broderick nowhere in sight.

Hopefully this trailer stays up as Warner has been swatting links all week.

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Swatted already.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

New teaser trailer:
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Could this be the first US made Godzilla movie that doesn't suck?
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Don't jinx it.

Also, I could be mistaken, but it looks like some scenes are either in Japan or feature Japanese (or possible just Asian) characters. I think that would be a nice nod to the original films and their birthplace, even if the characters mostly still appear to be US-centric.
          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Just curious: what was so bad about the previous Godzilla? I mean, it was not the best movie, but it had its moments and some nice tension building (e.g. it took a long time before Godzilla appeared, and I liked the way that was done)

Doesn't mean there isn't room for a reboot, the concept can always be improved!
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

IMO the previous film tried to be too cute by about 200%. It REALLY lost me when the mayor and his aide were thinly veiled versions of Siskel & Ebert. Really? And what's with the pilots too stupid to climb out of Godzilla's reach instead of playing PacMan with him between buildings?

Etc. etc. etc.

If you want to make a monster film with comedic moments fine, but don't 1) insult the viewers intelligence, or 2) whipsaw viewers between scary and slapstick ham "acting" every 5 minutes.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 February 2014, 02:59.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Ok, I can understand those comments... It did not bother me that much, but I get your point. (but I don't know Siskel and Ebert...)

But then it surprises me that Pacific Rim, which is widely regarded as a good movie (and it is not bad, I agree), escapes similar comments. The Jaeger using a huge tanker as a bat to slap the Kaiju is also insulting to viewer's intelligence. And e.g. the way that the pilot kept yelling "Mako" and encouraging her just annoyed me: they are already hooked up in the brain interface, why does he have to keep yelling it? There were many other details in both the story line and the acting that bugged me, even on the first viewing.
                  However, I think that such "mistakes" and inaccuracies are almost a given with big-monster movies: don't overthink them and just let it unfold...

It is such a thin line between having a monster movie rated as good, or as terrible...
                  pixar

Comment

Well, I wasn't thrilled with Pacific Rim either - mainly because it was an obvious Godzilla ripoff. Same reason I didn't like Heroes because it was an X-MEN ripoff.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Well, it is the same premise, but with quite a different approach and angle to it. X-men are more organized (both the good guys and the bad guys have some leader figure, who guides them), Heroes (esp. first season) was more with people coping with the powers, using/abusing them and not sure how to act with them. The lack of this central guidance made it different enough for me.
                      pixar

Comment

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

From a preview in Germany,

SPOILER ALERT

The initial scene takes place in a nuclear power station in Tokyo. Something goes wrong, and nuclear physicist Joe Brody (Bryan Cranston) is able to avert a disaster. However, he has to deal with a personal loss. 15 years later we return to the same nuclear power station. This time the physicist in charge is Daisuke Serizawa (Ken Watanabe). Brody is sitting in an interrogation room. He is accusing colleagues from the power station as well as the government to hush up something...

The reason for the incident 15 years ago was not an earthquake. It was something much worse, something they created that is returning. Moreover, Brody wants his son Ford Brody (Aaron Taylor- Johnson) back. Bryan Cranston delivers these emotional scenes convincingly.

As we have already learned watching the trailers, Ford is part of a special unit of the army in charge of delivering a certain radioactive load by train that is supposed to have an effect on the monsters or the threat they are posing. We cannot tell you what effect, however, you have read this correctly: the monsters! plural! Edwards kindly asked us not to reveal what their appearance.

The skydiving sequence from the trailer was also shown in Hamburg, but with additional scenes and edited differently. The additional footage contained something enormous, or to put it in Gareth Edwards' words: "When you want to watch a movie with a kaiju like Godzilla, you don't just want to see it fighting humans."

Gareth Edwards also mentioned being a huge fan of Pacific Rim and Guillermo del Toro, who told Edwards how much he enjoyed Monsters. According to Edwards, they have met before and are exchanging ideas constantly. Just think of a crossover: Godzilla vs Gipsy Danger! The rumor mill starts here...

Edwards stressed that his monsters will be more detailed than the ones in Pacific Rim thanks to Weta. Moreover, he put a lot of attention on not using impossible camera perspectives in the movie, i.e. "Each shot looks like there is a camera team on the ground, on a roof or filming from a plane. Since you can place CGI cameras anywhere, you tend to select impossible perspectives, and therefore quickly lose any tangible connection to the action," said Edwards.

We were impressed by the gloomy and grim pictures. They reminded us a little of Cloverfield - only better. Seeing Godzilla, the monster itself, on the big screen in all its magnificence calms our skeptical Godzilla-fanboy hearts. "The mixture of the heads of a bear and a dog in connection with the majestic eyes of an eagle" so Edwards, that make up Godzilla's head, come close to the original, and transports the monster to present day.

Production on the movie is in its final phase now, we were told. On Monday (March 3rd) sound recording will start, while the last CGI shots are being finished right now, and the 3D conversion process is starting. The 3D trailer was also screened in Hamburg, and looked great even without or because it was lacking forced pop out effects. Fans can look forward to a dark and monstrous Godzilla without the silliness that plagued the version of Roland Emmerich's 'T-Rex-Godzilla', which "was no real Godzilla" as Edwards pointed out.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Requiem for Soprano Mezzo-Soprano 2 Mixed Choirs and Orchestra by György Ligeti always send chills up my spine.

Comment

I've known about the new Star Wars and Avatar movies, didn't know there's a new Jurassic Park and Terminator movies! If so...totally awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X