Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the infirm who can't hit a panic button....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the infirm who can't hit a panic button....

Home Wireless Network Detects Elderly Tumbles

Wireless signals create a 3-D map of a room and can monitor any unusual movement, such as a fall or unusual period of quiescence. Larry Greenemeier reports.

“I’ve fallen, and I can’t get up!”

Years ago, the best option for people in this position was to press a button on their monitoring device and call for help. But that’s not always possible, especially if such a fall renders a person unconscious.

So electrical engineers at the University of Utah have come up with a fall-detection system that instead relies on wireless sensors placed around a room. The sensors emit wireless signals that bounce off of whatever’s in the room and create a 3-D map using radio tomographic imaging.

By setting the sensors at different heights, you can tell when someone is standing, sitting or lying down, and for how long. Once the room is mapped, you can program the system to send an alert whenever there’s a fall-like movement, or an unusual period of no movement.

The researchers presented their prototype system at a symposium in London.

The technology has obvious application as a home monitoring system for the elderly. No need for them to wear a button on a string around their neck as a constant reminder that gravity is their enemy.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

In the early 1990s, my mother who died at 98 in 1995, lived in a sheltered apartment, equipped with panic buttons and infra-red detectors doubling as motion detectors. The detectors averaged her sleeping habits, including a midday nap in a chair. No movement outside these times for a preset time (I think 30 minutes) set off the alarm, as did a significant drop in body temperature at any time.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Interestingly, I saw research on by a professor at University of Missouri to do this using video images. He presented it at a conference about 3 years ago. And he explained that they actually hired a Hollywood stuntman to fall realistically in order to test the system. One issue was privacy, as people don't like being filmed, so the system was built on more pattern detection.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
      X