Stargate (201x - trilogy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stargate (201x - trilogy)

Director Roland Emmerich has revealed that he is prepping a trilogy of new Stargate films meant to reboot the franchise. Originally Emmerich had envisioned Stargate as the first part of a trilogy — but MGM opted to make Stargate SG-1 instead, which ran for a decade and led to the two additional TV spinoffs.

Now that the franchise has been dormant a few years, Emmerich decided it was time to come back and give it another shot. Though the rebooted trilogy could borrow from some of his original plans, Emmerich was quick to point out that the new films will not be connected to the original Stargate film, noting “the actors look totally different ... it would not work.”

The films will almost certainly not connect to the SG-1 universe, either, since Emmerich has never really been a huge fan of the small-screen version of the franchise. To this day, he maintains it is not a “canon” continuation from his film.

Here’s what he told Digital Spy:

“We went to MGM, who has the rights, and proposed to them to do a sequel, but as a reboot... and reboot it as a movie and then do three parts. Pretty soon we'll have to look for a writer and start.”
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Looks interesting as I like Stargate..
    paulw

Comment

It is a nice concept... and for many the original movies are already a distant memory. So a reboot might be nice. A bit surprised that Emmerich did not like the small screen

I also like Stargate, and think it is sad that Stargate Universe never got a decent ending. It deviated a bit from SG1 and Atlantis, but felt more possible to identify with characters and situations.
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I really liked SGU, but I guess people just wanted more of the more lighthearted take that SG1 and Atlantis offered. Big fan of the original movie and the TV shows, so I'm excited about this.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
        X