X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 y/o wrestles alligator that attacked woman

http://abcnews.com/m/story?id=19984061&sid=81

South Carolina Boy Nabs Alligator That Bit Woman - ABC News

For South Carolina 12-year-old Joey Maffo, it's not unusual for a typical summer day to include wrestling an alligator twice his size, as he did this week.

Maffo's grandfather runs Hilton Head Island's Critter Management wildlife control company and received a call Wednesday that an alligator had attacked a woman near a lagoon.

Tamra Shattuck, 50, had been walking her and a friend's dog around a lagoon when the gator lunged out of the water toward her. The animal bit her ankle but she and the dogs were able to escape with minor injuries.

That's when she called Joe Maffo, 68, for help. Maffo, who called Shattuck a "very tough" girl, headed over to her house.

"When I arrived, I saw the gator for a split second," Maffo told ABCNews.com. "I evaluated it between seven and eight feet."

Maffo couldn't catch the gator Wednesday but went back to the house Thursday with Joey in tow. As the two were searching, Shattuck spotted the animal in the water and directed the guys to it.

"I went down and just let [Joey] fight it and hold it until it got to 16 feet out where I could reach it," Maffo said. "I stood at the edge of the water and reached out with a pole and put it around its neck and pulled it up to shore and then he pulled the rope tight. I got on the gator and he came over and taped it."

Joey is 5-feet tall and weighs about 90 pounds. The alligator was 8 feet and weighed 180 pounds.

Tape is put on the alligator's mouth and eyes, as well as used to pin its limbs to its side.

"Once they get their foot down, they can roll over and wing around so that's dangerous," Maffo said.

Under South Carolina law, the alligator must be "harvested," or killed.

Maffo said his grandson has been handling alligators since he was 3.

"I've just never been afraid of alligators," Joey told ABCNews.com today from the beach in Hilton Head, where he and his grandfather had just snared a 6-foot gator.

Aside from a few scrapes and bruises, neither Joey nor his grandfather has ever been seriously injured.

"I wouldn't take a chance on letting it bite me," he said. "I just stay away from the mouth."

The 12-year-old thinks his grandfather's job is awesome but couldn't quite put his finger on what makes it so much fun.

"I love it," Joey said. "I don't know how to explain it. It's just really fun. You get an adrenaline rush."

Maffo said, "He has the utmost respect for the animal. I would never let him go near it without me."

He said his 17-year-old granddaughter is also pretty good. As Maffo chatted, he was watching Joey on the beach with today's gator, which had already been taped.

"He just took a 6-foot alligator in a headlock," he said. "He's just practicing his maneuvers and techniques. It's all routine."

"Joey, bring that gator over here in the shade. He's a trip," Maffo said with a chuckle. "How many people would play with a 6-foot alligator?"
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Under SC law the animal must be harvested or killed.

Bait the animal with a dog and it must die?! Biatch should be shot for having her head up arse. Like the morons around here feeding them, that's also against the law here and in SC for obvious reasons. Amazing when I hear people say, "There's an alligator in the lake?!" when any body of water here will most likely have one hanging around, including pools, patios and lawns. Dogs, especially small ones are irresistible to them. They like big noisy pike & musky lures too

Hilton Head Island = rich idiot (had to deal with one this weekend, family friends dingbat motherinlaw).

Boy knows what todo and is sure of himself. I know several kids that have done this, big news elsewhere.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Like the kids here who bring home big ass snapping turtles & rattlesnakes.

I was one of 'em
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
        Like the kids here who bring home big ass snapping turtles & rattlesnakes.

I was one of 'em
        Remember once walking over to a neighbors house to show what I'd caught. Dude freaked out, got up started threatening me and backed his arse up into the house. I was just over the property line in my yard some 50' away. It was only a full grown copperhead coiled tightly around my arm, no danger to him at all. Very pretty close up. Photo's don't do them justice

Released back into the wild.

These days I volunteer wildlife rescue out on Anna Maria Island, Wildlife Inc. Doc remember the african grey that was "the smartest bird in the world"?
        That's nothing compared to the Amazon Scarlet we have, to date we've (mostly Ed Straight ret sherrif/911 director) noted well over 300 words. One day Beth was on the phone walking around and the bird kept interrupting her. When off the phone said, "You don't know even who you're talking to!", the bird responded, "Yes I do, you're Beth Weir!" SHE FREAKED, LITTERALLY

Every institution in the world wants to get their hands on the bird!

Welcome to Wildlife Inc., where saving wildlife through rehabilitation and education is our unwavering commitment. Since 1988, we have been a beacon of hope...
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

The pics of the crested caracara is named Aztec, was our mascot. He passed two years ago from age. We kept him after some moron shot out a wing a decade earlier. I took care of all, but mostly the birds of prey. They'd freakout the women volunteers. Everything cept bald eagles, where I would stand back and allow anyone else to deal with. Feds get mighty picky about them, like the secret service for the Pres. A headache I don't need

Funny was when I had to give an Osprey physical fitness readying him to be released. Would (barely) fly from one end of the fence to the other, half of the time missed the landing and would crash into the neighbors nice white Mercedes, talons scratching the hood trying to get a grip. Freaked out the giant spur thigh tortoises making crash landings on them in the pen.. Smiley weighs in at ~100lbs and is most annoyingly curious when your in their domain. Flipped him over one day so I could finish rebuilding the fence he'd destroyed that which protected smaller tortoises, strawberry, gofer etc... I'd dig a trench, and he'd fill it in, you (not so) little shit! Doubled my work LOL

My favorites, screech owls, had 30+ of the little buggers. Nicknamed one Beaker, like in Jim Henson's mad scientist's lab partner/guinea pig

Comment

Working...
          X