Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla Model S: test drive & innovation (MIT Tech. Review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Model S: test drive & innovation (MIT Tech. Review)

The subject of the Model S came up in the Hyperloop thread and deserves deficated discussion. I suggest reading the entire article as it hits on why their battery is small with high power density yet cheaper and safer.

CC: Boeing

How Tesla Is Driving Electric Car Innovation

Kevin Bullis (Senior Editor for Energy, MIT Technology Review)

I recently took a test drive in one of Tesla’s luxurious Model S electric cars and toured its R&D labs, where it’s developing its battery and recharging technology. The experience left me believing that Tesla has an important edge over its competitors in the race to bring electric cars to the masses.

Tesla’s Model S is expensive (it ranges from $70,000 to over $100,000), but its range is 265 miles, more than triple that of Nissan’s Leaf (75 miles). Within a few years, Tesla hopes to produce much more affordable vehicles—including one that costs $30,000 to $35,000—with a range similar to that of the Model S. Tesla also wants to make electric cars more practical by building a nationwide network of charging stations that can deliver 200 miles of charge in about half an hour—compared to several hours to charge an electric car at an ordinary station today.
    >
    >
    >

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 August 2013, 09:07.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps
Working...
X