Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gurm (ar anyone else) can you enlight me about ACPI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurm (ar anyone else) can you enlight me about ACPI?

I asked for Gurm since he seems to be one of the main Win2k gurus around

I just reinstalled win2k to take advantage of ACPI (hit f3 in the setup). With a simple win2k install it would default to a standard pc with the same IRQ assignments as in the bios. But I definetly liked the idea of being the OS to decide what kind of attention the hardware devices get, and not the opposite

It installed fine, I haven´t got no problems at all. But I got this IRQ table:
    0 System timer
    1 keyboard
    3 Com2
    6 floppy
    8 CMOS
    9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System (yeah! )
    12 ps/2 mouse
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 primary IDE
    15 secondary IDE
    11 AMD 756 PCI to USB
    11 Sb Live! (WDM)
    11 G400

Ok ok, I´m familiar with ACPI and IRQ pooling, but should´t the pooling be done in IRQ 9, where the ACPI controller is? As I stated, everything is working fine, but am I taking advantage of ACPI?

Ok, so it´s working as it should be. Thanks!

Comment

Win2k Will put all PCI devices on a IRQ like IRQ 9, 10 or 11 (or others?). It won't make a difference if the ACPI controller is not on the same IRQ

Comment

Yup, you're fine.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

No you're not fine, your computer is going to explode in 15 minutes!!!

Okay, just kidding.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

LOL

Comment

Can someone help me DISABLE acpi? it's makin my music skip, internet slow, and computer crash... well... once in a while, but thats too much for windows 2000 right?

anywya, i check the bios of my k7m-rm, i can't disable it there. There's a section that says acpi aware os installed and it says yes and it's greyed out, can't change it. what else can i do? there's nothing in the bios about assigning irqs manually.

thanks for any help possible

Comment

I guess you have to reinstall. In the installation press F5 and set it to standard pc. Before that, you can change it in the device manager, but the chances of it working aren´t good.

Comment

No no, you can disable ACPI just fine, it's ENABLING it that is a bad bad bad idea without a reinstall.

- Gurm

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

Hope no-one minds me asking this, but what does ACPI stand for?? And what does it do?

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Of all people, Jorden, I'd have thought you'd have Asked Jeeves?!?

---
                      Short for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface, a power management specification developed by Intel, Microsoft, and Toshiba. ACPI, which will be part of the next version of Windows, enables the operating system to control the amount of power given to each device attached to the computer. With ACPI, the operating system can turn off peripheral devices, such as a CD-ROM players, when they're not in use. As another example, ACPI will enable manufacturers to produce computers that automatically power up as soon as you touch the keyboard.
                      ---

(Not sure about that 'next version of windows' bit!)

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Thanks Steve

(At the moment of asking that question, asking whatever question to Jeeves wasn't working, because of the incredible slow connection )

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jesta, Gurm is right. I tried it myself, and once ACPI installed in the first place, you can swap between Standard pc and ACPI pc, and it will reconfigure itself on rebooting. All your devices will be redetected, and all drivers installed.

Comment

Gurm,
                            Ok so why is it a bad idea and how do you do that in a first place? I've ask the latter here before but got no answer..
                            I mean I just don't feel too attempted to install the darn thing all over again.
                            _
                            B

Comment

I have changed my W2K from ACPI to Standard PC by changing the computer type via the device manager and upon reboot W2K redetected the hardware components. Now the only thing not working is APM (Advanced Power Management) which means Shutdown and Power-Off isn't working for me anymore. Standby is gone.

That must be another bug/feature in W2K.
                              Switching HALs on my Alpha Workstation never gave me that.

Alegria

------------------
                              The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
                              Bob Dylan

The pump don't work, 'cause the vandals took the handle...
                              Bob Dylan

Comment

Working...
                              X