Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical component question

Hello!

I am looking for the name of a specific electrical component. I saw a lamp that had 2 lights in there. When first switching it on on, the first light goes on. Switch off and on again, and both go on. Switch on and off again and only the last light goes on. This was built into a lamp by Massive.

Now, my question is: can you get the component that causes this mechanism? And if so, what is it called?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Sheesh, we have a lamp like that in our living room and I can't find what the switch is called.
    It's rotary and at the base of the lamp (a table lamp)
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

The one I saw was a ceiling lamp, and worked with just any light switch. I suspect it is a relatively simple component, but don't know how to start looking for it...
      pixar

Comment

It is in this lamp: http://www.massive.be/Belgium-iris-32149-48-10.html
        On the top right is the download section, where there is a technical document. It contains the explanation, at the bottom of page 3, under the section "electronic pulse switch" and shows the functionality on page 4. I've been googling a bit, but cannot seem to find something that works like this (my guess is I have the wrong search terms).

Any suggestions?
        pixar

Comment

Just wondering if the circuit cannot be easily made using a few flipflops and a latched relais (to replace the clock signal)...
          or something like this: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_12/6.html
          No electrical engineers here?
          Last edited by VJ; 31 July 2013, 04:42.
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
            Just wondering if the circuit cannot be easily made using a few flipflops and a latched relais (to replace the clock signal)...
            or something like this: http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_12/6.html
            No electrical engineers here?
            as you said, a couple j/k flip flops rigged to count binary would work, but it would be one light, the other and then both :

or for the cost involved a simple $1.00 microcontroller would be easily programmed to do what ever you needed. You could use relays or triacs if controlling incandescent lights or mosfets/ transistors for LED.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Ok, this is interesting... Would be a nice project for me (it is something I could use for some lights, but it is not necessary).

The lamp I linked to has the behaviour that if it button is not pressed for some time (3s or so), it goes to the off state on the next press (rather than cycle through all 4 possibilities). I'm guessing this time aspect will make things quite a bit more complicated...?
              pixar

Comment

http://compare.ebay.com/like/380282854100?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&va r=sbar

Draw a schematic and post it up. there are many types of these from pull string to rotary or if you want even touch/dimmer controls that can either be made easy enough or a drop in replacement can be found

Cheers,
                Mike

Psst the graphics in the kitchen are the same as my tablets background
                Last edited by Greebe; 9 August 2013, 16:10.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, the idea would be to stay with an existing switch, so changing it to a rotary switch is not an option. The behaviour should be something like (order can change):

1 switch on: lamp one goes on
                  2 switch off: lamp one goes off
                  3 switch on: lamp one and two go on
                  4 switch off: lamp one and two go off
                  5 switch on: lamp two goes on
                  6 switch off: lamp two goes off

But if there is too much time (e.g. > 10s) between 2 and 3, or 4 and 5, it should start again from 1.

From what GT40 said and from what I've found, the flip-flops would allow me to set up the sequence, but you would always have to go through the whole sequence (the >10s reset would not be present).

PS: nice that you like the graphic in the kitchen. It took a bit of photoshop to do a high quality stretching
                  pixar

Comment

Well you should have specified a pull string type

Let me see, will be back...
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X