Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win install help needed

OK here's my question-

I want to do a fresh install of Win98SE.

I have the upgrade disk.

I want to put the disk (cab files) on the hard drive first to do the install from there (and be able to make changes without digging up the disk).

I know I can start the install from my Win98 disk, and at the first pause switch to the SE disk.

SO-
    Is there a way to accomplish the install from the hard drive with the 98SE upgrade disk?

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!!

Mark F.

------------------
    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
    and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
    --------------------------------------------------
    and burped out a movie

Mark,

(sorry not quite sure what you want to do)
    Do you want to do a fresh install of the Win98 CD, but from the hard disk?

Easy, just copy the CD onto your disk and rn setup.

If the Win98 CD is an upgrade?

If it is an upgrade CD, then would will need some MS product on you HDD first.
    I am not sure, but I think that I have seen it blagged with just creating a \windows dir and the win.com file.

You used to be able to shove DOS on and then overwrite it with windows, but i take it that you will be using FAT32?

i think that the best thing to do would be to:
    • Copy the contents of the Win98 SE CD onto your disk.
    • delete everything that you want to get rid of, but leave the windows root and system dirs.
    • Run the setup from the CD on your disk

--
    Not ideal because you will still have all you old crap left behind...

Thinking about it though...
    If you PKzip those two dirs, wipe them and then pkunzip the dirs, they should have DOS 8.3 filenames (8 chars and in caps). Which means that you can easily identify what you have left behind after the install.

I hope that helps?

I have seen it done when upgrading to Win95 from 3.11, but not from Win98..
    Perhaps you should speak to someone else, sorry!.

Good luck Mark!

Patrick

[This message has been edited by Paddy [MU] (edited 26 March 2000).]
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

If the Win98 CD is a full install version, then that's all you need to do the Win98SE install. Just put it in when asked.

HOWEVER!!!!

You will have to have CDR drivers installed if you are running the install from the hard drive. This means booting off the boot floppy, picking the CD-supporting boot, and THEN running the setup.exe from the hard drive.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I have a clean (new) hard disk and the bootable Win98 CD and a Win98SE upgrade CD (will 'only' upgrade an installed copy of WIN98). Sorry for any confusion, it was late when I posted the original question.

It's not a problem to have access to any Win files as I have a fully working system with WIN98 in it (or I couldn't be posting ).

I know I can do the boot from Win98 CD; install from Win98SE CD; copy CD to hard drive; and hack reg to point to copyed files. But I would rather do the install from the hard drive. I know I'm probably just making it hard on myself, but...

Thanks for trying to help guys. Any more ideas, I'm sure this can be done; and the compined brains of the MURC is the best place for an answer. Even if it's the weekend and most people are sauced .

Mark F.

------------------
        and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
        --------------------------------------------------
        and burped out a movie

Comment

What I do is sys the Hard Drive making it bootable, copy the win98SE setup folder to a folder called win98 that I create on c:, copy the original OS (in your case w98 first edition) to a folder called proof, reboot to the harddrive, type C:\win98\setup then when it asks for the qualifying product point it to the proof folder, and you are on your way.

Rags

Comment

Create your Windows 98 boot disk (if you don't have one already).
            Boot off of your Windows 98 boot disk. This should bring you to a dos prompt.
            Fdisk your new drive. Need to reboot, leave floppy disk in.
            Format your new drive.
            Make a directory on your new hard disk called Win98 or something like that.
            Copy all files in the Win98 directory on the cd into c:\win98.
            Run setup from the C:\win98 directory.

Since you have Win98SE update cd, you will have to install that after. No way around it.

I like to have a copy of the win98 directory on my hard disk anyway because if windows wants to insert the cd when installing software etc, you can point it to that directory.

Good luck!
            xippo

Comment

Working...
            X