Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new system, need help!

Hi guys and gals,

I'm thinking of getting a new motherboard and cpu pretty soon here and was wonder what your opinions were. I currently run an AMDK6-400@450 and have been quite happy with it. I'd like to stay with AMD, but i'm wondering if now is the time to buy. With the new AMD chips coming out pretty soon (that's the rummor anyway), should I wait and get one that offers on die full speed L2 cache? It seems to me that most benchmarks out there show that Intel chips with lower clock speeds are beating the higher clocked Athlon's because of this. Also, with AMD moving to a Socket A design, I don't want to have a system that I can't upgrade in the future. So, does the credit card stay in the wallet, or should I light this puppy up?

Cmag

------------------
    Consequences smonsequences, as long as I’m rich

Hi Cmag,

A little bird has told me that the Athlons with on die cache (spitfire and Tbird) will be shipping to channels on April 21, and will be announced and ready to order on April 24. If you can wait this long, I would suggest you do, these chips are pretty fast.

Rags

Comment

Hey Rags,

Thanks for the info. Do you know if they are going to be shipping as Socket A chips, or will they still be Slot A. I'm just curios because I know of no MB that are yet shipping that are Socket A compatible (not to say that there aren't, I just haven't heard of any). I'm also a little concerned that If I buy a Slot A MB, I wont be able able to upgrade in the future due to the switch from Slot A to Socket A. Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

Cmag

------------------

Comment

The ones that are there now are slot a.

Rags

Comment

Keep your money until someone makes a stable Athlon/Mobo combo. AND NOBODY FLAME ME DAMMIT, we've had this argument before and the failure rate for Athlon stability is unacceptably high.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Rags is right, wait 30 days and you will be very satisfied with your options at that time, both price and performance
            jim

------------------
            Abit BE6 with P3 500 @ 5*124=620
            14.6 gb Maxtor ata66 and 128mb ram
            G400 vanilla 32mb @ 168/210
            Sblive with Altec Lansing speaker combo
            384k DSL and Realtek nic
            Windows 98se with DX7a
            3dMark2000 = 2956
            Worn out reset button :O)

PIII-500mhz @ 620 ! with an Abit BE6 mobo
            128mb pc-100 cas 2
            Mill G400 (vanilla!!!) 32mb @ 167/208 with MGATweak-417mhz, (2.5, 2, 2.5), PD 5.5010 & bios 1.5-22
            Maxtor 14.3 gb Uata66 hdd
            SB Live!
            Winblows 98se & DX7
            and 384k DSL!

Comment

I'm not flaming Gurm, but he's still wrong. There are good Athlon boards, and bad Athlon boards, just like boards for Intel. A good Athlon board is at least as good as a top-notch Intel board. Aren't the Dell's and Asus boards having troubles with Photoshop right now?

[This message has been edited by Wombat (edited 26 March 2000).]
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
              X