Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brazilian soccer violence goes into warp drive

Fans Kill and Quarter Football Referee in Brazil

Police say enraged spectators invaded a football field, stoned the referee to death and quartered his body after he stabbed a player to death.

The Public Safety Department of the state of Maranhao says in a statement that it all started when referee Otavio da Silva expelled player Josenir Abreu from a game last weekend. The two got into a fist fight, then Silva took out a knife and stabbed Abreu, who died on his way to the hospital.

The statement issued this week says Abreu's friends and relatives immediately "rushed into the field, stoned the referee to death and quartered his body."

Local news media say the spectators also decapitated Silva and stuck his head on a stake in the middle of the field.

Police have arrested one suspect.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Sounds like a splendid place to hold the Olympics.

Comment

Yup. 2016 could be a landmark year in spectator sports
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

8 of our Explorer Scouts are supposed to be going to Brazil next week for the trip of a lifetime...lots of very worried people here. I put the odds of the trip as 50/50 at best now, and we need our Foreign Office to issue a travel advisory so the parents don't lose £1600 each if the trip is cancelled. Fortunately my son is one year away from Explorers trips and not involved.
        FT.

Comment

Whatcha worried about? The Brazilian homicide rate is "only" ~66 / 100,000 (US = 4.7, 2/3 suicides)
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate puts Brazil at 22.7. UK is 1.2 so that's quite a leap for us!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...by_murder_rate shows the best and worst regions to be...I'll tell them to steer clear of Rio.
            FT.

Comment

Working...
            X